Major Appliance Repair Service?

Dee341

Premium Member
Of the major appliance manufacturers, WHO offers the best repair service?

That would mean that appointments are made promptly, the tech actually shows up without cancelling, and the repair is completed in a timely manner that satisfies most customers. It's also helpful if the repair is priced reasonably.:)
Does anyone know? :confused: It's sure not Sears.:( And I see complaints from Whirlpool customers too.

Has anyone had any experience with LG or Bosch repair services?

Service contracts, which are so popular these days, aren't worth the paper they're printed on if a customer can't get satisfactory repair work done.:cool:

Mikeske

Premium Member
Personally it is not the major appliance companies that I do business with but the local appliance stores, I have learned NOT to deal with the big box stores. I have never had any problems when I deal with the local merchants but I have with the big companies.

The local appliance stores, the ones that actually send out their own techs have always satified me and even came with the parts needed in the vans and if the parts were not in the vans they called their dispatchers and had the parts in short order.

Yeah I will shop for appliance in the box stores, then when I find a model that interest me I make a bee line for the local appliance store, I also perfer the better and knowledgable staff in my local appliance store and sure I might pay more but get better service. An appliance in my eyes is a investment with the store and it is long term. I know that the local store will be there in the future and I just like the fact that they are not selling clothing in the next aisle over or lawn mowers and wood down the way.

In my home I have a hodge podge of different name brands from the GE dishwasher, to the Magic Chef fridge to the Whirlpool oven, to the Maytag washer dryer, to the thirty year old Monkey Wards upright freezer (that I bought used in Las Vegas when I was in the Air Force from a local appliance store). To me the brand doesn't make a bit of difference if it got what the wife wants in features is all that matters to me and that they work as designed.

Dee341

Premium Member
Thanks for the opinion. :) We have also purchased from local appliance dealers, but lost one about 8 years ago, and now have just lost another whom we depended on. It's a tough business with the competition from big box stores and the high cost of repairs. Looks like I will have to search around for another in the Orange/Sullivan County NY area:confused:, and it is surprising that in a fairly well-populated area the choices are slim.

We also own a hodgepodge of brands: Kenmore laundry machines and dishwasher, Whirlpool refrigerator, Jenn-air range and oven, and a 35-yr. old upright Hotpoint freezer which we inherited from my parents. Like you, we shopped and then purchased from our local dealer. It was worth it to pay more and support our local guy. Sears repairmen had always done right by us on our Kenmore appliances until last year when I had a very frustrating 2-month experience getting our front load washer repaired. The repairmen that came were decent and skilled men who told me the business had changed, and that they had a lot of stress too from the way it was being run. They said most of their customers ended up as frustrated and unhappy as I was.

I wish that there was a such thing as a durable major appliance brand that could be counted on to work reliably for even just 10 years. Failing that, I would settle for good service. Right now I have come to the conclusion that you should pay as little as possible for an appliance that will just suit your needs, and plan on replacing it. Of course this just adds to our landfills which is disheartening and not in the community's best interest either. Buying higher end doesn't seem to be the solution since it just seems to get you more bells and whistles, but no better durability. We can do some repairs ourselves, but anything that involves a "kit" may be over our heads since some of these, at least the ones sold by Sears, are generic and made with multiple "adapters" to service 8 different brands.

I would be happy to hear from anyone who has had good :) appliance experiences, especially with front load washers, and with refrigerators....two things we will probably need to replace soon.
LG and Bosch have entered the FL washer market, so they have no track records as yet.

Mikeske

Premium Member
Well, My wife and I just finished shopping for a replacement for our 26 year old Magic Chef washer dryer set, they were very much on their last legs and when the transmission on the washer went booey we decided to go shopping. The dryer was constantly rumbling and I knew it was the infamous cage fan again on the dryer (I rebuilt the dryer 12 years ago) and it was really in sad shape again. The motor was also whining pretty good so went to the local appliance store after we went to various stores.

My wife had decided on getting the Whirlpool Duets and I had walked back to the scratch and dent area of the store and I spotted a matched up pair Maytag Neptune washer and dryer (Not the Maytag Manufactiored one but the Samsung washer) What we ended up with last month was last years model MAH9700AWW washer and MDE9700AYW dryer. I was really surprised by the price that wife got them for $450.00 for the washer and $300.00 for the dryer.

We got a $50.00 rebate from our local utility and we also are getting a $100.00 rebate from Maytag for the pair. I am really impressed by how well the pair do the cloths and I hae never had my cloths as soft as they are now coming out of the washer and with no smell what so ever, this without fabric softener as I tend to get a rash if soteners are used. I did get the extended warranty from the appliance store (underwritten by Whirlpool) and it runs out to 5 years for everything and 10 on the major parts.

The one thing you do know that you should have a solid flooring for the washer as they CAN have some vibrations and that from living in Manufactoried home we do NOT have the problem, but I tripled check the level of the machines and I also did NOT get the pediestals as they can make the problem worse. These new machines have been excellent in every regard and the now the dryer beats the washer in drying cloths when we do several loads.

My wife has had a few minor problems with the machines but they all have been operator errors, putting the bleach in the fabric softener dispenser and softener in the bleach dispenser for her cloths. For the most parts the we are well satified with the machines and we could give a hoot about some minor dents and scraps that the pair have on it as we the only one who see the machines.

Former A&E tech

Premium Member
Maytag MAH9700

The 9700 is not built by samsung, it was built in newton IA before the corpret take over of Whirlpool, the Mah 8700 how ever was built by samsun and is junk

Mikeske

Premium Member
Sir what you are sugggesting is illegal. The country of where something is produced MUST be place on comsumer products in this country. If something says it is produced in South Korea as my washer has, it cannot be produced in the U.S.A. That is also called Fraud and the person that placed that illegal tag can be in a lot of trouble. I am fully aware my washer and dryer was made where they were, IN SOUTH KOREA.

Also on my machine the controls and design are very similar to the point of even the detergent dispenser will swap between the Samsungs and my Maytag MAH9700 as I did it in the appliance store (I am a curious sort) as I knew that my washer was discontinued and I wanted to make sure I get parts even if they were different names on it.

nodiscnts

Appliance Tech
Oh Yeah

a&e guy got slammed:confused: . I dont think so have you seen the news republic of south korea is under investigations for this trash. The duet from germany? bosch. Cabrio/oasis/bravos all look like a new zealand washer? Of course a frmr a&e guy just repairs appliances! What does he know? Its not like he worked 4 Sears or Kmart. Mr Mike thank u for buying "samsung design" pre whirlpool duet neptune. For you have insured a ihsp a job for years to come with that piece of junk. Please do not complain about are labor rates and part prices. Its cost us alot of money for training and shipping of parts. Because we had to go to south korea.:cool:

Mikeske

Premium Member
So look at what Maytag produced on their own, the great Neptune series that had so many problems that Maytag went belly up and got bought out by Whirlpool. If you want junk look at the Neptunes that have had bearing, tub, mold issues, and control board problems on a overpriced peice of junk that they ended up having class action lawsuits.

No company is immune from this as looking at any industry is fair game to making mistakes (the Vega and Pinto come to mind in the automotive side) but to say the consumer is to blame is looking at it all wrong, I know and I would really perfer to buy U.S. but when the price is right as it was on this unit (a scratch and dent) I buy and figure that my wife and I can get ten years with any luck.

Samsung makes a good machine and it will do what we want. Oh by the way I work for a major (the only one left) that produces airplanes and who has bought from us all foriegn customer in the last 8 years.

nodiscnts

Appliance Tech
The mah9700 was a outsourced unit and as of today has 19 service bullets on it. And as far as parts good luck. Remember you are a proud samsung owner it just has maytag decal. A&e guy is a former tech for the company that actually controls the appliance world. And A&E is the co that will service your machine when it needs it. Problem!!! A&E does not repair samsung. but yours is a maytag. So you bought the maytag dependability ext warranty? Just giving you a hard time. Theres 3 bad products in 10 no matter what.

Also on my machine the controls and design are very similar to the point of even the detergent dispenser will swap between the Samsungs and my Maytag MAH9700 as I did it in the appliance store (I am a curious sort) as I knew that my washer was discontinued and I wanted to make sure I get parts even if they were different names on it.[/quote]