• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

    ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

    Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

    From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

    Jake
  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Malfunctional JCP Microwave

Daniel

Premium Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2012
Messages
2
Location
Northern Virginia
Model Number
863-5525-70
Brand
JC Penny
Age
More than 10 years
Hi all,

I have this JCPenney microwave in my basement, left over from my house's previous owners. It had never functioned right since at least the day we moved in 13 years ago. What the problem is, half the buttons don't work, that includes the start button. However when you plug it in, the digital screen kicks on and you can hear a faint clicking noise as you plug it in. The light bulb inside works as well.

Could this be a blown fuse inside the microwave? I think part of its decline is the fact they installed in in the wall. The back of the microwave is in a closet, which appears to be somewhere around 4' by 2'6? The door to the closet was shut when the previous owners still lived here. So maybe there wasn't enough ventilation and a fuse blew?

Here are the specs in case they're needed:

Model Number: 863-5525-70
Cat. Number: 863-2564
Manufactured: June 1987
Hertz: 60
Volts: 120
Amps: 12






Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Daniel
 

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Oct 10, 2004
Messages
24,054
Location
Ontario, Canada
Hi,

Could this be a blown fuse inside the microwave?
Nope, entire unit will go dead when the internal fuse lets go.

What the problem is, half the buttons don't work, that includes the start button.
That more often than not is a key panal issue....and yours has come up NLA = shopping time.

jeff.
 

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Oct 10, 2004
Messages
24,054
Location
Ontario, Canada
Maybe...a mid-80's microwave key panal that still works...stranger things have happened. ;)

jeff.
 
Top