• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

MAV6200AWW Maytag Atlantis - Grinding While Spinning

crhyner

Premium Member
Model Number
MAV6200AWW
Brand
Maytag
Hi,

I'm new.

I have a Maytag Atlantis washer machine. Model #MAV6200AWW. It's old, not sure how old...last year we had the drain pump replaced. I consider myself fairly handy.

The machine grinds while in spin cycle only. I took the front off and listened/watched everything as it went. Drain pump seems fine. When it goes into spin it is LOUD. My gut is telling me it's the tub bearing. I watched a video and think I can take care of it, and it's a single part under $10, if I can find it....

Any tips/input before I do a deep drive and try to fix this?

THANK YOU!

Charlie

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Charlie,

Tilt the washer back and take the belt off the pulleys and turn the water pump pulley first to make sure that's not the one making the noise, if not then, you actually have 2 spin bearings, upper and lower, I'd check the lower bearing first to see if it turns rough or smooth.

Here's the lower spin bearing(Video Included):
12001562 Bearing Assembly (lower)

In order to replace the lower bearing you would need to remove the thrust bearing and the brake assembly from the unit. The brake tool to release the brake spring is No Longer Available. A member back in Dec. 2008 was able to use longer screws in place of the shorter screws to release the brake spring pressure, thus avoiding the need to purchase the brake tool: FIXED Admiral washer LNC6760B71 snubber

Jake

crhyner

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

Thank you for this!

Good news and bad news.

Good news is that I was able to follow that video, no (big) problems...

The belt and pulleys on the bottom of the machine all seem to be in good shape.

Bad news is that I don't know if it's the lower bearing. I took a video of how it spins, seems to be OK. Maybe it's the upper bearing? Any ideas? Trying to get this together so my family can use the washer again. What else can I check?

thanks,

Charlie

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

crhyner

Premium Member
OK, thanks. Did you see my video? Does the lower bearing look OK?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No, I did not see the video, now I did, it should turn smooth, it sounds noisey to me.

Jake