• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

MAV6548AWW Maytag Washer upper hub seized to transmission shaft threads.

ChevyGuy

Premium Member
Model Number
MAV6548AWW
Brand
Maytag
I'm disassembling a Maytag Atlantis MAV6548AWW I got as a spare parts donor, and the upper tub seal had failed and allowed water into the threaded shaft area as shown in the attached picture. I cut the plastic tub nut off, now I'm stuck on the hub. I've been soaking the threads in Kroil and will wire brush them next. Three of the four tub bolts were seized into the hub and had to be cut off to remove the tub.

I have the Maytag 3-pin spanner and can drill out 2 more bolts so I can use it on the hub.

Any recommendations on removing this? Use a die grinder to cut the hub away?

Goal is to have a working transmission as a spare. I have 3 Atlantis/Ensignia washers in the family (parents, sister, mine) that this will fit if needed.

Attachments

• IMG_4041.JPG
    IMG_4041.JPG
    218.9 KB · Views: 10

ChevyGuy

Premium Member
Thanks Jeff, worst case I'll disassemble the transmission and salvage the components in case the 35-6615 kit becomes NLA down the road. I collected the brake components, motor, and misc cabinet hardware as spares so it was a productive project.

I'm guessing that they had work done on it at some point as the snubber was in extremely good condition for a 2003 machine, but the guy didn't re-grease the upper seal. No need to pull the inner tub to do a snubber, however. Water and detergent have been getting into the upper shaft area for a while based on the rust damage. The newer 1-piece upper seal and tub nut seems like a much better design.

Last edited:

ChevyGuy

Premium Member
And the hub is off. I used a die grinder to cut a channel into the hub, then a chisel to spread the hub, after which it rotated off easily. No damage to the shaft or threads. I'll take it to my favorite machine shop to see if they can cleanup the threads with a die.

IMG_4079.JPG
IMG_4080.JPG
IMG_4082.JPG