• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

MAV7600AWW Maytag Atlantis Washer Spin Screeching

MarissaK

Premium Member
Model Number
MAV7600AWW
Brand
Maytag
Hi! I have a Maytag Atlantis top load washer from 2001. It has run pretty smoothly up until this point except one circuit board was replaced. It is currently loudly screeching during the spin cycle. Washer functions normally aside from that issue. I have done some searching and it appears that it could be a few things. Is there a way to tell which bearing should be replaced? Or the seal (is this usually an issue with screeching)? Should all be replaced? I want to make sure I order the correct parts, but not order things that I dont necessarily need to replace at this time.

Here are two different videos with the sound.

1st video- doing a load of laundry
2nd video - running cycle with front off, no laundry.

Thanks for any feedback or suggestions.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Both videos are private, please make them public so we can hear it.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks I hear it now.

Tilt the washer back and support it with something, then remove the belt first and run it in spin and see if that noise is still present.

tilt.JPG

If not, then turn the water pump pulley both ways are see if it turns smooth both ways, with no noise coming from it while turning it.

What is the serial number of your washer?

Jake

MarissaK

Premium Member
There is no noise after removing the belt and the water pump pulley moves smoothly and quietly in both directions. The serial is: 20194986ZB

Thanks for the help so far.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You have 2 spin bearings, upper and lower, I'd check the lower bearing first to see if it turns rough or smooth.

Here's the lower spin bearing:
12001562 Bearing Assembly (lower)

In order to access the lower bearing you would need to remove the thrust bearing and the brake assembly from the unit. The brake tool to release the brake spring is No Longer Available. A member back in Dec. 2008 was able to use longer screws in place of the shorter screws to release the brake spring pressure, thus avoiding the need to purchase the brake tool: FIXED Admiral washer LNC6760B71 snubber

Here's the thrust bearing kit and video that shows the way to remove and replace it first to get to the lower spin bearing.

12002213 Thrust Bearing Kit

Then once you have removed the thrust bearing kit and brake spring, then there will be 3 bolts you have to remove to get access to the lower spin bearing. Once the bearing is removed turn it both ways to see if it turns rough or smooth, normal would be smooth.

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

MarissaK

Premium Member
Hi! We got down to the bearing and I think it turns pretty smoothly. I linked the video.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

ChevyGuy

Premium Member
That bearing is worn out and needs replaced. It may or may not be the source of the noise you're hearing, there's an upper spin bearing as Jake mentioned.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I agree with Chevy.

Also check the upper spin bearing. They only make that bearing that comes in a kit with the tub seal. There is also a video in the part link that shows you how to access/replace it.

Here's the upper bearing assembly:
Tub seal and bearing kit W10219156

Jake

MarissaK

Premium Member
Thanks.
I was able to find the bearing elsewhere for the upper bearing. Would there be any issues with just replacing that? Or could the seal, for example, possibly need replaced after removing bc age of it, etc?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Its best to replace the tub seal too while you have it apart, that seal gets weak overtime and can easily break when you remove it.

Jake

ChevyGuy

Premium Member
And the two white foam gaskets shown in the parts pic aren't something you want to re-use after disassembly of the inner tub and outer drum, which you need to do in order to access the upper spin bearing. High risk of water leakage into the cabinet and all over your floor.

If you're willing to risk a bit of re-work, just replace the lower spin bearing with a factory part and put it back together to see if you fixed the noise.

Also examine your snubber ring while you have it this far apart as it's a cheap part and they tend to wear out.
WP21002026 Snubber Ring

MarissaK

Premium Member
Thank you both, again. I replaced the lower bearing and the noise is still present. On to the upper bearing, correct? I did check out the snubber ring and it looked ok but what would indicate that it was not? aside from a crack?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, replace the upper bearing and seal kit.

Jake

ChevyGuy

Premium Member
Bite the bullet and get the factory upper spin bearing & seal kit Jake posted, "buy once cry once" as they say. The new tub nut & hub is a one-piece improved design versus the original 2-piece, and you'll probably destroy the factory plastic tub nut removing it anyway without the special spanner. And the triple-lip seal integrated into the upper spin bearing assembly is the one you really don't want to fail as it leaks water into the transmission and upper spin bearing when it does. The new seals come pregreased with the sticky gooey stuff needed to keep water out.