MAV9501EWW sounds like a jet after replacing thrust bearing

Chi_T

Premium Member
Model Number
MAV9501EWW
Brand
Maytag
So my washer stopped spinning. After reading up on the issue I decided the best course of action was to replace the thrust bearing and the belt. The repair went well and the washer spins. But now it sounds like a jet engine.

The only notable things before were squelches before starting and stopping the spin cycle. Also when putting on the part there was barely enough room for the thin washer and not enough for the thicker one that was included in the kit. For comparison's sake I tried to put on the old assembly which was using the thicker washer and it also would not fit.

Has anybody had this experience or any ideas why this is happening. The noise is deafening and not something I could live with.

Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Does it sound like this:

[video=youtube_share;ig6ShhszLXA]https://youtu.be/ig6ShhszLXA[/video]

If so, Tilt the washer back and take the belt off the pulleys and turn the water pump pulley first to make sure thats not the one making the noise, if not then, you actually have 2 spin bearings, upper and lower, I'd check the lower bearing first to see if it turns rough or smooth.

Here's the lower spin bearing(Video Included):
12001562 Bearing Assembly (lower)

In order to replace the lower bearing you would need to remove the thrust bearing and the brake assembly from the unit. The brake tool to release the brake spring is No Longer Available. A member back in Dec. 2008 was able to use longer screws in place of the shorter screws to release the brake spring pressure, thus avoiding the need to purchase the brake tool: FIXED Admiral washer LNC6760B71 snubber

Jake

Chi_T

Premium Member
Wow thanks for the fast response but that does sound like it. The weird thing is it wasn't doing that before I changed the part. The one thing I did have to do to get the E clamp on for the thrust bearing was use a screwdriver to pull out the shaft. I didn't use that much force though. I'll probably order the parts once I check the water pump.

Thanks again

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, the C-clip is a nightmare to put on after you have replaced the thrust bearing kit.:)

Yes, turn your water pump pulley first both ways and see if it turns rough or smooth.

Let us know.:)

Jake

Chi_T

Premium Member
So somewhat of an interesting development. I didn't have time to work on the washer this week but we still used it. Now it seems like the problem has resolved itself and it is not nearly as loud is it was. Thanks for your response and help I'll keep the part in mind if things go bad again.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good, thanks for the update.

Jake