Maytag 5000 Series Dryer: Powers up, but start button only clicks

Corey Harmon

Premium Member
Model Number
MEDE500VW1
Brand
Maytag
I have a Maytag 5000 Series Dryer, Model: MEDE500VW1

I went to start the dryer and although everything lit up as usual, when I pressed start, all I heard was a "click" sound. After reviewing a few YouTube videos, I figured out how to place my dryer into test mode by pressing + — + —. The display read "F01" so I replaced the Control Board (Part No: W10174746). I also replaced the Thermistor and Thermal Fuse.

Fired it up and it worked great. Did a load of laundry. Went to tumble wrinkles from some clothes this morning and it did the same thing as before: power up, but just a click at the start.

I took the top off and made sure everything was nice and tight with the wiring. Nothing, still. Tried turning the drum while pressing start to see if maybe the motor was having trouble turning. Nothing.

Is it possible that the Control Board is bad — again? That "click" followed by a small humm I'm hearing is in the the control board. I think it's a relay trying to communicate. Btw, I put the machine into test mode again and there's no code being displayed this time. I would think it were the board again, it would say F01, right?

Is it possible that the thermal fuse or thermistor I put in are bad? Would that cause it to not start like this?

Appreciate the help

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Bad new board, thermal fuse failure, anything's possible. You need a DMM that can measure volts/ohms. Without it, it's just guessing. Getting into test mode by pressing plus- minus- plus- minus- is something I haven't heard of before. It might be something new so try this; Make sure the dryer is in standby mode, plugged in and all the indicators off. Select any one button except Control Lock or Start/Pause. Press and hold for 2 seconds-Release for 2 seconds-Press and hold for 2 seconds-Release for 2 seconds-Press and hold for 2 seconds. If there are any active error codes they will be flashing in the display.

Check the thermal fuse for continuity. Here's a tip, if you don't have a DMM, remove the two wires from the thermal fuse and short them together. Check if the machine starts. I suspect this is going to be the problem with your machine. Remove and clean the vent hose. Clean the outside vent and check the flapper isn't stuck closed. Check for good airflow out the dryer exhaust. If the vent or vent hose is blocked and there's no air flow, the heat will pile up in the blower housing and open the thermal fuse. If you replace the thermal fuse and don't correct problem (no air flow) the same thing will happen after a couple loads.

Access the control board. Check for 120 VAC across P9-2(blk) to P8-4(tan). Door must be closed. Set the timer to timed dry about 40 minutes. Check for 120 VAC across P9-1 to P8-3 when the start button is pressed.

Corey Harmon

Premium Member
Your method took me to the same place, and no codes are being displayed. (Picture attached) I'll get a DMM and check the other things you suggested and post my findings. Thanks!

Attachments

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member