• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Maytag A207 washer - not advancing thru the cycles

TetraLewis

Premium Member
Model Number
A207
Brand
Maytag
My mom has a Maytag Washer A207. It was not advancing thru the cycles, so I purchased a replacement timer switch. the original timer switch part # was 2-4454. The replacement timer switch I purchased and installed was 2-04454-2. Although the parts were not identical, I matched up all the numbers when installing. The new timer now advances but it will stay in the wash cycle indefinitely while the knob advances. If you push the knob in and stop the machine and advance it to the spin cycle it will perform that task.
Any ideas on how to complete the repair?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
TetraLewis said:
The replacement timer switch I purchased and installed was 2-04454-2

A new (ie. UNused) one??

the original timer switch part # was 2-4454. The replacement timer switch I purchased and installed was 2-04454-2.

The slight variation in the number on the part is not likely a concern. The numbering difference just relates to an updated timer design by the timer manufacturer.

TetraLewis said:
The new timer now advances but it will stay in the wash cycle indefinitely while the knob advances. If you push the knob in and stop the machine and advance it to the spin cycle it will perform that task.
Any ideas on how to complete the repair?

It sounds to be like you instead a defective timer.

JMO

Dan O.

TetraLewis

Premium Member
I purchased the replacement timer on ebay so not new.
So likely I replaced a faulty timer switch with another faulty timer?
The replacement timer advances

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
TetraLewis said:
So likely I replaced a faulty timer switch with another faulty timer?

I don't see any other way what you said can happen.

TetraLewis said:
The replacement timer advances

There's more to a timer than just advancing. There are contacts and cams inside that have to operate properly to switch the various functions. It sounds like the contact for the wash function is sticking or loose, or the cam that actuates it is damaged.

Dan O.

TetraLewis

Premium Member
And is all that inside the timer switch? So if I repurchase a new timer switch I will hopefully have the problem fixed?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
TetraLewis said:
And is all that inside the timer switch?
Those are all components inside the timer, yes. Here's a pic of the interior of one, simpler timer.

image.jpeg

TetraLewis said:
if I repurchase a new timer switch I will hopefully have the problem fixed?

As I said, I don't know of any other possible cause for your symptoms than a defect in the timer itself. If a fully functioning timer is installed, those symptoms should not occur.

A "new" timer is getting rare to find but this supplier still shows stock.

LINK > WP204454 replacement Maytag 2-4454 Timer

It should also be possible to have your original timer professionally rebuilt/remanufactured if you send it to a timer repair company. It would certainly be a better option than buying a "used" one. Rebuilt ones can sometimes experience problems as well so techs usually leave that was a last resort.

JMO

Dan O.