Maytag A410 is very noisy when accelerating - bearing or belt noise?

three4rd

Model Number
A410
Brand
Maytag
More than 10 years? Try 38! Bought this in '81 and still chugging along but now have an increasingly bad noise concern. Just today again my local appliance dealer (where we bought it) says that if at all possible this unit should be repaired rather than replaced with new. As everyone tells me (including the dealer...and they sell them!), the new stuff just isn't near as good or durable.

I replaced the belts just a year or two ago, and checked. There is about 1/4" gap when pinching the pump belt together, so seems like all is well there. The noise has been getting worse and today it also smelled like the belts were overheating. Noise occurs every time it accelerates - drain and spin - when starting, then generally subsides and no real issue during the wash / rinse cycles. There is always some yellowish / brownish grease down below the motor that drips onto the floor, so I'm suspecting bearings (?)

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

If its leaking from the yellowish / brownish grease then its coming from the transmission, and if you have the orbital transmission you can get the lip seal kit, if you have the flat transmission then you can't use the lip seal kit, and you'd need a new transmission.

For the bearing noise you'd need a new Tub Bearing Kit.

Here's the tub bearing kit for your model:
6-2040130 Tub Bearing Kit

Whenever you change the tub bearing you ALWAYS have to change the tub mounting stem seal kit assembly.

Here's the mounting stem seal kit assembly for your mode:
6-2095720 Mounting Stem Repair Kit

The video on how to replace these two parts are located in the part links.

Jake