• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Maytag A590 washer tries to spin, motor tripped out and smoked

Falcon9h

Premium Member
Model Number
A590
Brand
Maytag
My oh-so-technical wife <sarcastic> put a heavy rug in the machine so I fear it's torn up for good but here goes...

When machine tries to spin, motor tripped out and smoked. Tried new motor and belts. No change.
Looked up symptoms and decided to replace complete tub bearing assembly. Got it back together-guess what?
I don't have a nice temper-I'm ready to take a sledge to the goddamned thing.
Without the tub installed-spin will work. As soon as I install the tub, the motor trips out. Something is going on that the weight of the inner tub is causing the motor to give up under the load. And the inner won't center and scraped against the tub cover, which I removed just to check the spin.
I've already had it... I'm posting here as a last ditch effort and then I'll most likely junk the thing, but I'd like to see if anyone has any ideas. If the transmission is gone it's bye-bye anyway. Otherwise I'll try whatever advice you can give.

Already failed at fixing the dryer so I'm feeling pretty low.

Many thanks!

Rich

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Rich,

Some rugs have that backing on them that gets brittle and when you wash them all that rug backing clogs up the drain pump, and on this old Maytag you have a drain pump belt and it can't spin or drain water because both the drain pump belt and drive belt both turn per the motor, thus the motor will smoke.

Remove the drain pump belt, Turn the drain pump pulley by hand and see if it turns.

Here's the drain pump for your model:
Drain Pump WP6-2022030

Jake

Falcon9h

Premium Member
I certainly appreciate your input but I had the belt off the pump so that's already ruled out. Maybe the brake? I'm very skeptical on putting any more $$ into it but I've heard it's an excellent machine.
We moved into the house in 2004 and it came with the house. This is the first time we ever had trouble so we can't complain!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, so if you remove both belts from the motor, does the motor turn fine when it's in the spin cycle without tripping and smoking?

It could also be the motor glides and springs going south or drying up.

Check the motor glides and springs. The motor needs to move back and forth on the mounting plate to keep the pressure steady on the motor pulley. Spray the glides and springs with WD40 and use your hand to move the motor.

Here's the glides and springs kit for your model(Video Included in part link):
205000 Motor Mount Roller and Spring Kit

If the motor glides and springs are fine, then yes its possibly the brake is shot.

Here's the brake package for this model you can order:
WP6-2011900 Brake Assembly

Video included in part link, but that brake tool is no longer available, you may be able to go to a local appliance repair shop in your area and they may let you borrow or rent theirs.:)

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Falcon9h

Premium Member
I had a long chat with appliance parts pro and of course I never got thechat transcript, so here's the lowdown:

Tub bearing replaced. New motor. New belts. Runnling this test with pump belt off. Symptom: When machine went into spin, it would start, get bogged down, motor would trip out and machine quits. Smell something overheating. So: during reassembly after I got the pump bearing in place and the outer tub all secured, I ran a test with no inner tub. The motor spins just fine. The pump belt is still off.
OK, so I get the inner tub in. The same problem reappears. Something is going on that the weight/mass of the tub is causing the motor to bog down, overheat fast, and quit. BTW, the old motor was doing the same. That's why I replaced it. On top of that, I can't get the tub centered and all of a sudden it scrapes the tub cover. (older metal one) but one thing at a time. Needless to say I'm running the test without the cover for now. That's where I'm at.

Since the brake tool is almost 70$, I called a local guy to come look at it so I can consult in person. Applianceparts said it could be the brake or transmission. I've already got over 200 into it so I'm getting to the end of how much I should put into it and I'm gettin' too cheap to buy the tool unless I know for sure. (don't know anyone to borrow one) If it is the transmission probably that's the line in the sand.

Let me know what you think now that I calmed down enough to type coherently 🙄. Your time and help is really appreciated. It would be a real feather in my cap if I could fix the thing.. I might even get lucky! 😮

Falcon9h

Premium Member
My wife has been so stressed dabout this for rweeks, first the dryer, now the washer. We went tonight, said the hell with it and are getting a new washer delivered. I don 't blame her. At least I gave it my best shot. Not the way I wanted it but it' s not fair to her with my messing around. I'm getting the feeling that it was the transmission from what I read on another forum.
Thanks very, very much for your help!

Rich

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes Rich, I was thinking transmission too, but it's best to get the new washer, that Maytag you have is a older one, and it's about 40 years old and unfortunately all good things must come to a end. 😭

Because nickel and diming it to death is not a good strategy.:)

Jake