Maytag: Am I Nuts??

bmwfish

Premium Member
Howdy,

Newbie here, so please bear with me. I apologize if I posted this in the wrong forum. I'm a member of the class who got repeatedly burned by the Neptune FL issues (wax motor, fried resistor, mildewed boot, etc) on the machines we bought in 1998. So far, my lovely wife has prevented me from taking the machines out back and shooting them, but she's starting to relent. :cool: After two boot replacements (the last one on my dime), it's mildewed again. This time, it's really disgusting. So, she's demanding a new set of machines. Due to space constraints, I can only fit a 28" deep or less washer, eliminating most front loaders, except for the Neptune. Am I completely nuts for even considering another Maytag? Should I save the money and spend it on therapy? Or should I just trot on down to Sears and buy a set of the new Kenmore Oasis machines? They certainly look good on paper, but I'd really like to buy something that will perform flawlessly and fade into the background for the next 15-20 years in ultra-reliable obscurity.

Your opinions are highly valued. Please either encourage me to give Maytag another chance, or confirm that I'm nuts to even consider them. If you were buying a set for your own personal use, which machines would you buy?

TIA,
bmwfish

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thats odd, it would mildew so much. Where the washer is located, is it in an area where there's not much air circulation? Do you leave the door ajar when its not in use?

Jake

bmwfish

Premium Member
Jake said:
Thats odd, it would mildew so much. Where the washer is located, is it in an area where there's not much air circulation? Do you leave the door ajar when its not in use?

Jake
Hi Jake,

It's in a laundry room that is our main thoroughfare to the garage. Lots of circulation. We've started leaving the door open recently. According to our local parts shop, Maytag changed the material the boot was made from a few years ago. Ours was replaced a couple of times before that change was made, apparently. I'm not about to spend more money on this POS to change out the boot again. As the cherry on top, I was alerted to a burning smell coming from the washer after a spin cycle this morning. Lovely. It's outta here. The question is, what should I replace it with?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Well, I know from working out in the field, that all the problems they had in the past with Maytag are now gone. Have you been to Best Buy? I go to Best Buy a few times a month to look at the new front load washers that are out, they have alot of new ones, like LG, Samsung, Bosch that look like they might fit into the space you need it to. But as far as reliability with these brands, I don't know since I worked at Sears, and we didn't sell or service these.

The one thing I do tell all my customers now when they buy any front load washer is to always buy at least a 5 yr. extended warranty service contract on them, as the electronic control boards on these are outrageous in price.

As for Maytag, I wouldn't hesitate in buying another one, since they have fixed all the issues with them, but still buy the 5yr. extended warranty on Maytag, like the rest I spoke about above.

Jake

bmwfish

Premium Member
Jake said:
The one thing I do tell all my customers now when they buy any front load washer is to always buy at least a 5 yr. extended warranty service contract on them, as the electronic control boards on these are outrageous in price.
In general, I'm opposed to extended warranties, but based on past experience, it might be wise on this item. Would that apply to the Oasis TL machine too? Seems like it's more "conventional" (and thereby cheaper to repair?) than the high-zoot, appliances-as-trendy-furniture FLs. No?

jmshaffer

Appliance Tech
Mildew will occur in any machine. Moisture, darkness, water quality, lack of air movement, warmth...all catalysts for growth. There is a freshen up procedure which involves placing several ounces of powder (DISHWASHER) detergent into the spin basket, pour a cup of chlorine bleach into the door boot itself, pour a cup of bleach in the DETERGENT dispenser (not bleach or fabric softener cup). Turn to a cotton/sturdy or whites if that's what your machine has, choose hot wash and let it go through without clothes. That works well and leaving the door open after a cycle works wonders, I took the light out of my mom's so she could let it hang wide open and it looks as new as the day she bought it! Also, are you using HE detergent? If not, invest in it. It makes a lot of difference in any high efficiency machine.

bmwfish

Premium Member
jmshaffer, thanks for the mildew tips. I've passed those along to SWMBO (she who must be obeyed) for consideration. Personally, I think that business shouldn't be necessary. For gosh sakes, it's 2006 and we can't prevent a ubiquitous machine from getting stinky?? They'll clean with steam, they'll agitate without agitators, they'll sense water and air temperature, and they'll even talk to eachother, but they can't prevent mildew? feh.

Okay, so as I mentioned before, these maytags are being replaced. Please recommend a replacement. I'm going down to sears today to look at the Oasis. Should I also consider the GE profile? I think the front-loaders are out, because the only ones that seem to fit in this space are Maytag and Frigidaire. Quite frankly, I was unimpressed with the new Frigidaire front-loaders. Same 70's technology with a new door. Big deal.

Thanks to all who have responded. I value your opinions.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
bmwfish said:
In general, I'm opposed to extended warranties, but based on past experience, it might be wise on this item. Would that apply to the Oasis TL machine too? Seems like it's more "conventional" (and thereby cheaper to repair?) than the high-zoot, appliances-as-trendy-furniture FLs. No?
Yes, it would apply to the new Oasis TL machines too, mainly because these are brand new on the market, and there is no repair track record on these yet, I have only seen these in the Sears store, I haven't had to go out to repair one as of yet, and it may be a few years till I do one, as I'm self-employed now with my Appliance Repair Company, and not doing warranty work anymore.

Jake

Bambiblaster

Appliance Tech
The Oasis may be a good machine but as previously stated they are new and not enough time for the flaws to arise.. I have been out on 4 so far and the 1st 2 were cust erors in use... READ THE OPERATING GUIDE.. the other 2 .. 1 was loose wire connection at the board and the other installation error... the 5yr extended is a good idea as your regular warranty does not cover cust instruct and the little things that may arise.. and the price is good compared to the repair costs... Oh and did I state that will be getting Oasis training on the 27th... That goes to show how new they are...

bmwfish

Premium Member
Bambiblaster said:
The Oasis may be a good machine but as previously stated they are new and not enough time for the flaws to arise.. I have been out on 4 so far and the 1st 2 were cust erors in use... READ THE OPERATING GUIDE.. the other 2 .. 1 was loose wire connection at the board and the other installation error... the 5yr extended is a good idea as your regular warranty does not cover cust instruct and the little things that may arise.. and the price is good compared to the repair costs... Oh and did I state that will be getting Oasis training on the 27th... That goes to show how new they are...
I get it, I get it! :)

I ended up buying a set of the Oasis machines 27092/67092 yesterday ($100 off each + 10% rebate) and added a 3yr extended warranty for delivery 4/21. As an engineer, I should be able to eliminate any user errors and 3 years should cover most material and workmanship defects. Since the machines seem to be based on existing and proven technology, I should be able to correct most issues that arise after that period (especially with help from this esteemed collection of experts). Otherwise, when do you stop paying for protection? At some point, there are diminishing returns and this whole paying a premium for high efficiency idea never pays off. Kinda like paying cubic bucks for a new Toyota Prius in order to gain a couple of mpg. :3:

Good luck on the training...let us know how it goes.

Thank you and best regards,
bmwfish