Maytag Atlantis Dryer MDG7600AWW continuous buzzing/humming when not in use

kfj

Premium Member
Model Number
MDG7600AWW
Brand
Maytag
My Maytag Atlantis Dryer just started with a continuous low buzzing/humming when not in use. It still works well, but now with this noise, which seems to be coming from below the door as far as I can tell.

Any guidance would be most appreciated!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

I think I ran into a problem like this 20 years ago, and it was the motor that was bad and causing that buzzing when not in use, I need to verify that with Rick though first.

When you open the door, does that buzzing noise stop?

Jake

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I think you might be right but I'm not positive. That style has 120 VAC at the motor all the time for the board so if the motor switch contacts are stuck it could.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks Rick!

This model will take one of these 2 motors below per your original motor shaft configuration.

Here's the D shaped motor shaft with two slots for blower wheel snap rings:
W10410997 Drive Motor

Here's the threaded motor shaft for the blower wheel to screw onto it
WP33002795 Motor

Jake

kfj

Premium Member
Yes, the noise does continue with the door open. So either way, it looks like a new motor?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Confirm the noise is coming from the motor first. Set the dryer on timed dry and select no heat or air fluff then unplug the machine. Take the machine apart. Take the drum and belt out. Plug in the machine and see if the motor is making the noise.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks Rick for helping out.:)

Yes kfj, do what Rick mentioned to do first, when you click the link on the 2nd motor I posted you will see a video of HOW TO remove the belt and drum, to access the motor and replace it, if the buzzing is coming from the motor.:)

I think I remember a Admiral Dryer doing this same thing when I worked at the Montgomery Ward Service Dept. in the 1990's. It was something I'd never seen happen before, and haven't seen since. Maytag owns Admiral.

Jake