• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Maytag Atlantis not spinning or draining. Model MAV7200AWW

Lamadrama

Premium Member
Model Number
MAV7200AWW
Brand
Maytag
The washer will fill fine but will not spin or agitate or drain. I did check that the motor spins freely. I was able to rotate the motor with the belt on as well and all the pullies moved fine. I can't move the inner drum by hand clockwise or counterclockwise though.

I also noticed when I tried to start a spin cycle the motor would attempt to rotate but would only get 1/16 of a turn before stopping. I did see in another post that it might need the thrust bearing replaced but that is for a different model Maytag washer but about the same age. Am I on the correct path or is there something I am missing. Thanks for any help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

First, Check the motor pivot spring, there is a white plastic slide foot mounted on the motor, that pivots with the direction the motor turns, if that slide foot pad is dry or dirty, it won't pivot correctly with a load in it, causing a slow or no drain issue and a slow/no spin issue.

#1 is the pivot spring, #10 is the motor pivot slide foot: Parts for Maytag MAV7200AWW: Base Parts

The pivot spring puts tension on the motor mount clutch.

I have seen that motor pivot spring plate get dirty and dry and cause that pivot plate not to make a smooth pivot transaction when the motor reverses to agitate or spin.

Try to lubricate that motor pivot plate when a compound like Sil-glyde lubricant, you can order or get at any appliance parts store in your area.

Here's the pivot spring for your model you can order if needed:
WP22004376 Motor Spring

Watch this video to access/replace it:

Jake

Lamadrama

Premium Member
I did clean up the surface where the motor pivots and it does slide smoothly by hand. The problem still continues. Is the main concern here the spring has lost tension over the years? I will be able to get one mid-day Wednesday and install it.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Possibly yes, but leave the front cover off and watch the motor and see if the motor makes a smooth pivot transaction when the motor reverses to agitate or spin.

Because even if it doesn't spin properly all the water should drain out within 90 seconds.

Tilt the machine back and use something to hold it up. Then remove the belt from the pulleys and see if the belt looks worn out.

tilt.JPG

Here's the belt for your model:
WP22003483 Washer Drive Belt

Video Included in part link.

Also with the belt off turn the drain pump pulley both ways, it should turn smooth and NOT rough.

Lamadrama

Premium Member
Installed the new pivot spring with no change. The belt was good with no cracks. All the pullies turned by hand with no issue. The rotor of the motor still makes a slight movement but stops. The motor itself does not slide at all. I repositioned the motor several times by hand and there was no change. I checked the ground and cleaned it up but no change. My guess now is the motor is going out. Seems unlikely though since it is pretty clean and spins easily by hand. Any other suggestions? We are the second owners of the washer and it sat in inside storage for about 4-5 years before we got it. However, it has been running for about a year though. IDk if that matters.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The motor should pivot both ways when you move it with your hand.

When you turn the transmission pulley in the spin direction the brake should release and the inner tub should start to spin.

If not, then it sounds like the thrust bearing is not releasing the drum brake. Common failure on Performa/Atlantis/Ensignia MAV series washers, and not too difficult to repair. C-clip reinstallation can be a challenge.

Here's the thrust bearing kit:
12002213 Thrust Bearing Kit

And here's a video showing the replacement procedure...skip to 3:10 and do this inspection procedure on yours as it currently sits, report your findings:

Lamadrama

Premium Member
I can get the drum to spend by hand using the pulley and the motor is smooth to turn in both directions. I tried to run it without the belt on to see if the motor would turn and it did the same thing. I unplugged the motor and checked the voltage at the plug using the wiring diagram and the voltage was correct at the plug for the settings that were set. When I checked the motor I found all the contacts to be shorted to each other. I will be able to test a new motor out in a few days and will leave a note if it worked or not. Thanks for the help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.