• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

MAYTAG bottom freezer, top fridge model MBF2258WEB1 forced defrost does not heat defrost heater?

Ruuu

Premium Member
Model Number
MBF2258WEB1
Brand
Maytag
Hi, I have a MAYTAG bottom freezer, top fridge model MBF2258WEB1. It recently had the problem where the refrig was too warm. The evaporator coils and around the defrost thermostat were all iced up. I de-iced with a hair drier. I checked with a meter the continuity of the defrost heater 28.5, and the defrost thermostat 55.83 warm, 0 cold. That was about 2 weeks ago and I put it all back together and ran it for 2 weeks. When I took off the back panel to check for ice build up there was even thin frost with some frozen small drips on the evaporator fins and one ring size circle of solid ice around the tube that the defrost thermostat is connected too (or right in that area).

So I thought things must be working ok. Perhaps the ice buildup could have been the result of the freezer door not closing all the way and being left like that for atleast 12 hours about 2 weeks before the refrig warmth was noticed. So I thought maybe it was fixed.

I put it all back together but didn't notice that I didn't put the upper shelf in straight so the freezer door didn't seal well on one side. The freezer was full of rime ice in the morning. So I took it apart again and ran the forced defrost to get the ice on the evaporator melted, That's when I noticed it didn't seem to be heating. How hot should it get? Everything seems to shut off when in forced defrost. After that I rechecked the heater and thermostat and got the same readings (55.83 for the thermostat as it was about room temp).

I ran the forced defrost and the heater doesn't seem to heat up (it is not hot to the touch). I ran this with the freezer door off and the freezer back panel off.
One thing I noticed when I was rechecking for ice build up after the 2 weeks is that on the right side of the evaporator fins where the heater comes up along side it, the end of the heater was against the plastic side of freezer and had browned the plastic and melted it a little. I was able to move this away from side by a little less than a half inch. The heater touching the side may have happened during the ice removal. There was a time about 8 years ago when i also had to remove ice so maybe could have been that long ago?

I was thinking that if it had all iced up again after 2 weeks that the jazz board would be the problem but now I am confused. Any help thinking this through would be so appreciated. thanks, Ru

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, if the defrost thermostat ohm tested at 0 ohms when it was frosty, and your defrost heater ohms good, the only psrt left is the JAZZ board.

Here's the JAZZZ control board for your model you can order:
WPW10503278 Electronic Control Board

Jake

Ruuu

Premium Member
Ok thanks Jake. Since the jazz board is pricey and the refrig is old I just wanted to make sure I need it. I had a new development: The day after I wrote this I noticed that the refrigerator was in defrost mode by itself, I could hear water dripping and sometimes frizzing like a drip landed on something hot. So 3 questions:
1. Could there be some other function that would sound like i described? Or is that definitely the defrost cycle?
2. If it goes into the defrost cycle on its own, can I assume that it is working properly? I have read that the thermostat can test as good but not always work as it should?
3. If the jazz board is bad would it sometimes work? or if it defrost part of it is not working it just won't work anymore? thanks for your help

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, yours is a intermittent defrost problem, but like I mentioned above if the defrost thermostat and defrost heater keep ohm testing good each time it fails to do the defrost cycle, that means the JAZZ control board is the intermittent part that is failing.

Jake

Ruuu

Premium Member
One last question: If all the defrost system is working as it should, could leaving the freezer door not fully closed over night cause the freezer evaporator area to ice up with the tubing completely encased in ice about 1 or 2 weeks after the door was not completely closed (for maybe 12 hours)? thanks again

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's not likely because it would get frosted immediately after the freezer door was left open that long, and you'd also notice the inside walls and items in the freezer frosting up due to the warm kitchen air coming into the freezer.

Jake

Ruuu

Premium Member
Yes I did notice rime ice all over the food and freezer walls. But then everything seemed to work fine until about 2 weeks after that when I noticed the refrigerator not getting cold enough yet seemed to be running all the time. It was then that I took the back off the freezer and saw the evaporator fins and pipes were enclosed in a block of ice.
So my question was; " is it possible for this to happen if the defrost system is functioning properly?" Could the freezer door ,left slightly open, overwhelm the defrost system with too much moisture being frozen so that it would continue to build up until it blocked air flow to refrigerator? (update: I did notice the refrig was in defrost mode again last evening)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
is it possible for this to happen if the defrost system is functioning properly?"
Like I mentioned, not likely, but to confirm that get a hair dryer or steamer and defrost the entire evaporator coil completely, and see if it frosts up again like that.

Jake

Ruuu

Premium Member
Yes that is what I am doing. Waiting. I was just trying to gain more understanding about what is possible as manual ice removal is not fun and all the food will be at risk of spoiling. But I will wait to see if it happens again. thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I was just trying to gain more understanding about what is possible as manual ice removal is not fun and all the food will be at risk of spoiling.
I completely understand, but that's about to only way to do it.

Usually leaving the door open by accident would not cause any defrost parts to fail.

Jake

Ruuu

Premium Member
No I didn't think that. I wondered if after a freezer door was left open, if the defrost parts could get overwhelmed by moisture and ice buildup that they couldn't recover from.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I wondered if after a freezer door was left open, if the defrost parts could get overwhelmed by moisture and ice buildup that they couldn't recover from.
It could happen, but it would be very rare to happen. That's why I always ohm test the defrost thermostat and defrost heater first before I replace the control board.

Jake