FIXED Maytag Bravos MVWX700XL2 Making Agitator Working Slowly & Won't Spin

sunshine97

Premium Member
Model Number
MVWX700XL2
Brand
Maytag
Hi, I have a Maytag Bravos MVWX700XL2. It's about five-six years old. For about a year now, it would occaisinally make a weird noise while washing that seemed to come from the agitator working. It was a ratcheting type noise and didn't do it all of the time, just mostly when I would wash smaller loads. Today I noticed while doing the weekly laundry, that the agitator wasn't fully agitating. It was turning back and forth, but very slowly and not "mixing" the clothes like it usually does. I went though two loads like that, and on the third load, when it was time for the washer to rinse and spin, it started to make a whining/whirling noise and it would not spin out the clothes (but it did drain). I removed the wet clothes and tried to have it just rinse and spin, or drain and spin while empty and the strange noise continued w/o any success. I have a video of it making that noise that I can post/send if someone can tell me how. I paid over $500 for the washer, and I really don't want to have to replace it this soon, nor do I want a $300 repair bill. My husband is very handy and could fix it if we knew how to properly diagnose the problem so we get the correct part. Based on what I've read, could it be the shift actuator or a broken motor coupler? We ran it in diagnostic mode and got F7 E1. He took it apart and said the belt and pulley seemed fine.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

You can upload the video to Youtube and post the link here, or share it on Google Drive or Dropbox or any video sharing service.

It sounds like possibly your hub underneath the washplate is the culprit, remove it and see if the teeth have grinded down on it.

Here's the hub for your model, its located underneath the washplate:
W10528947 Hub

Here's that video that shows this problem, do it sound like this video:

[video=youtube_share;wuhZWjnByCs]

OR these 2 videos:
low speed manual test
high speed manual test

The hub has screws that hold it in place, you will see them once you remove the washplate.

To remove your washplate, Watch this video below, wiggle the washplate while pulling it up.

[video=youtube_share;2l19ojF3pnA]

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

sunshine97

Premium Member
Thank you so much for the reply! This first video is not of my machine, but this is the exact same grinding/ratcheting noise it has been making for about a year now:

[video=youtube_share;pNwC6qZLCJ4]

This is a video of my machine and what it just started doing yesterday (very little/slow agitation during various wash cycles) and then making a whining whirling noise upon starting the spin part of the cycle. The problem starts at about :45 into the video and you can hear it going crazy again at the end of the video. It never did totally spin out the clothes and they were still sopping wet.

[video=youtube_share;P_RWm-k2xa4]

sunshine97

Premium Member
You nailed it, Jake. My husband took off the washplate when he got home to get to the hub and found the plastic splines inside the hub completely worn away. To make matters worse, the splines on the shaft of the gearbox that the hub goes over are badly worn, too, and that is not a cheap fix.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad you found the problem was the hub.:)

How worn are the splines on the gearcase shaft? Usually I don't run into that problem on these models. I would just order and replace the hub. If the washplate is moving back and forth fine, then your gearcase shaft splines should be ok.

Jake

sunshine97

Premium Member
I'd say the splines on the shaft are up to 50% worn, but it has worn in an odd pattern. They are not evenly worn at all. We should have the hub by the weekend and are hoping that by just replacing that part, the washer will work again for at least a little while longer. I believe the washplate was working okay prior to the failure we experienced on Monday, so I have my fingers crossed! I will update when we've attempted the repair. I can't thank you enough for your help!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good, yes please keep us posted.:)

Jake

sunshine97

Premium Member
It's fixed. The $26 hub did the trick and we were able to do the repair ourselves in under 15 minutes. Thank you, Jake! You saved us a lot of money and I'm happy I don't need a new washer. I really like my Maytag Bravos (when it's working properly, lol).

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent sunshine, good job replacing the hub.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

sunshine97

Premium Member
Jake, I hope you are still here! It's been almost exactly a year since my above post and our washer is doing the exact same thing again. My husband took off the washplate to find the plastic hub completely worn away again. He said the splines on the gearshaft look worse than they did last year when he took it apart so replacing just the hub again probably isn't going to last long this time. My husband is very handy in fixing things if he has instructions or a tutorial to follow. Do you happen to know if any literature or videos exist on how to make a repair of the gearcase for this machine? And will the machine need to be recalibrated if he replaces that part? Thank you in advance!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes sunshine, You'd need to replace the transmission and hub this time.

Here's the transmission for your model:
W11035747 Gearcase

This is the closet video I could locate:

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help sunshine, let us know how it goes.

Jake

msw812

Hi Jake
I had the same problem as sunshine described, but as well with a spin out speed too slow as well. I replaced the hub with a new one and all worked great like new for several washes until agitation failed. Being that the splines on shaft were 50% worn and assuming gear case failure I ordered new gear case. After I installed new gear case (new hub was still like new) and a splutch kit (at belt drive) I ran the reset and calibration task and all seemed good. But first wash in there is no agitator action, only the basket doing its normal subtle turn right/left action. All these parts I’m throwing at it and still having problems. Any idea or suggestions would be appreciated. I’m determined to get this back to working properly. Maytag mvwx655dw1 is the unit.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Its funny you mentioned that, last week we had one do this same thing and it was the actuator that fixed it:

Here's the shift actuator for your model you can order:
W10913953 Actuator

Here's the video that shows how to replace it:

Let us know how it goes.

Jake