• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Maytag Bravos XL MCT Washer (Rattling) | MVWB835DW0

DerrickAA

Premium Member
Model Number
MVWB835DW0
Brand
Maytag
My Maytag washer starts making a rattling (there might be a better word to use) sound when it's sensing. The machine goes from sensing mode, to washing mode, all while the plate is moving and rattling simultaneously, then back to sensing. The water doesn't come out.

This cycles through the sensing and washing mode a few times and then just turns off. I found a YouTube video to show me how to get any error codes and the only one that comes up is E5 & F7.

I took a video of the empty drum making the sound... had to upload to drive because it was too large to attach but is less than 2 mins long (Video).

When I first noticed this sound, it was reoccurring intermittently- I would unplug it and replug it and then it would run normally, without the sound. Now it's becoming less intermittent and more regular. I searched and searched for videos that had my exact issue (or close to it) with no luck when it comes to the rattling sound. I did notice the E5 & F7 error was most likely related to the actuator but nothing specifically with that sound.

You'll notice in the video, just the plate is moving and not the whole drum- not sure if that's normal or not. This site seems to be my next best hope at figuring out what to do next.

DerrickAA

Premium Member
Update: I found a manual you provided in another post for technicians (Manual). I did a “Disgnostics Verification Cycle”- it ran through all the cycles and then returned to “000” on the display screen- the rattling was still there. I cleared the code and then redid the verification cycle. The rattling remained and afterwards, the only codes were still E5 & F7. I’m not sure if the source of this sound will show an error code... On the second test, the only difference was on cycle test #18, the clicking was still there but once the speed of the click sped up, it’s like the drum caught the plate and the clicking stopped and the drum began to spin. Me being the hopeful person I am, I thought it might’ve fixed itself and attempted to run a very light load of laundry but then the clicking was back.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

F7E5=Shifter Failure--->Fault is displayed when the main control determines the shifter is not engaging the basket for spin or disengaging it for wash.
• Check shifter connectors.
• Check for clothing or another item wedged between the impeller and the basket that could bind them together.
• Check that the shifter slider moves freely.
• See TEST #3a: Drive System – Shifter, page 15.

Ok, this model is direct drive, no belt, so it uses a different Shift Actuator than the BELT models do.

Here's the Shift Actuator(also called Slider) for your model:
Shift Actuator W10734521

The shifter coil is the clutch assembly, it has the Orange and White wires going to it.

Here's the clutch(shifter coil) assembly for this model:
W10754448 Clutch

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Just the clutch, unless the plastic teeth on the shift actuator are grinded down, then you'd need both.

Here's another member that said the clutch fixed his:

Jake

DerrickAA

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. I’m just going to get and replace both. I’ll update the post once I have the parts and repair is complete.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Derrick, sounds good.

Jake