Maytag Bravos XL MEDB835DW3 Won't start

M19991

Premium Member
Model Number
MEDB835DW3
Brand
Maytag
I have a Maytag Bravos XL dryer that has stopped running. When I press the start button I hear a humming noise coming from the motor and the drum does not spin. I am able to manually start it by taping the door switch and spinning the drum by hand but it WILL NOT start on its own. When I turn the drum by hand the belt does slightly slip, but eventually I am able to get the dryer to run. I have taken the belt off the tension pulley (with back panel off) and pressed start and the motor starts spinning as it should. But when the belt is on it will not turn the drum. I have taken the drum out and inspected all the rollers for smooth rotation and all seem to be OK. I've tested the outlet to make sure that its getting enough power to run and I am getting 236 v, so a little low but could be multimeter being off slightly. Same amount of voltage from the dryer cord. I've tested the Thermal Fuse for continuity and it was good. Tested the Inlet and Outlet Thermistors on Ohms and both were good.

Summary of what's been tested:
1. Drive Belt
-inspected and in tact. Spins a little on drum.
2. Drum rollers
-spin freely
3. Thermal Fuse (continuity). OK
4. Outlet Thermistor (tested on ohms). OK
5. Inlet Thermistor (tested on ohms). OK
6. Power Outlet
-236 v reading
7. Power Cord
-236 v reading

Any help is appreciated!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Your motor is possibly bad and causing this problem.

Here's the motor for your model: W11126010 Motor-Drve

Wait, did you check to make sure nothing is in the blower wheel bogging down the motor while the belt is on the idler pulley and drum assembly?

Jake

M19991

Premium Member
Yes I've checked for obstructions in the blower wheel but it was clear. I cleaned out all the lint in the entire dryer. I didn't mention that I have already purchased a new motor and installed it and got the exact same result. Really puzzled on what to do.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

M19991

Premium Member
Thanks Jake! I have a replacement belt on it's way. I'll give you an update once I get it installed.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good, yes let us know.:)

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

You'll need a clamp style amp meter to take a amp reading when you start the dryer and see how many amps your motor is pulling when it tries to start under a load.

Jake

M19991

Premium Member
Can you tell me where I need to have the clamps in order to get that reading?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Clamp to one of the pigtail wires where it connects to your dryer.

You have 3 wires going into the dryer from the dryer cord pigtail, the two outer ones are HOT, the middle one is NEUTRAL. So just clamp around one of the HOT wires and see what it reads, then clamp around the other HOT wire and see what it reads.

Jake

M19991

Premium Member
Clamps with dryer on but not started:
Left wire = 115 v
Right wire = 115 v
Both hot = 230 v

Clamps with dryer started:
Left Wire = 31 v
Right wire = 196 v
Both hot = 229 v

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Those are volt readings?

I wanted amp readings, but I already see the problem from your volt readings.

You have a circuit breaker problem in your home breaker box, because the Left Wire should not drop to 31 volts when you start the dryer, it should stay at 115 volts. Also the Right Wire should not rise to 196 volts, that should stay at 115 volts too.

So it looks to me you have a bad breaker to the dryer.

Jake

M19991

Premium Member
I replaced the breaker for the dryer and still get the same results. What else can I do?

Wx4usa

Premium Member
If you reinstalled the belt blind, make sure it’s actually on the pulley and not the motor shaft. Motor shaft won’t have tension enough to turn. Still doesn’t explain the voltage readings though. Could also be loose/dirty connections in the dryer 240 power outlet, dryer terminal block or cord plug creating a voltage drop and pulling too much current.

M19991

Premium Member
When I put the belt back on, I opened up the back panel for better access so it's not that. When the power cord is plugged into the outlet it does seem to be a little loose. Could that be what is causing the voltage problem? Terminal block looks OK.