Maytag Bravos XL MVWB750YW0, showing Sd code.

dano126

Premium Member
Model Number
MVWB750YW0
Brand
Maytag
Hello, I currently am experiencing a similar problem with my Maytag Bravos XL. While set on quick wash, the washer went to drain from wash cycle, at 23 minutes. It got to the 21 minute mark, and stayed there. The water had drained from the machine, but you could hear it was still trying to drain water out. It was doing this for approx 4 minutes, before i shut it off.
When it first started this, it was flashing the Sd or the 5d code. I looked it up and it spoke of the suds being too much. Then, upon further investigation, it also stated it could be a plugged drain hose or pump. So I took it all apart, and nothing was plugged.
I also have a friend whom lives 1400 miles from me that does appliance repair. He told me to do exactly what I did. Plus, he said to clean the splines on the shaft and in the washer tub. He said that the tub needs to be able to slide up and down to a certain extent, and that could mess up what a sensor is sensing.
One thing I had not asked him, was, in the tub, the splined cog is kind of sloppy, it moves around alot, I'd like to know if its supposed to do that? Or, if anyone else has any input, I'd really appreciate it.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No, it shouldn't be kind of sloppy. The splines on it sounds like its worn down. I'd replace it.

Here's that hub assembly for your model you can order:
W10820039 Basket Hub

There is a HOW TO video when you click the link to the hub assembly that shows you how to replace it.:)

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

dano126

Premium Member
Jake, so you say there should be no play in the basket hub. When I had the basket out, the hub was flopping all over the place. I had the basket out due to the Sd code, thinking since I didn't use too much detergent, there must be something plugging up the drain or drain pump. There was nothing. I didn't figure it could be that because it drained just fine, until it got down to where there was nothing to drain, but it kept trying...for 9 minutes, then it would stop trying, then refill the tub to try and do it again. I did see that there were a couple people out there saying it was the board, since the drain was not plugged. I got a used board, installed it and nothing changed. So now, I'm kinda back to square one. So, since its looks easy to do, I may try that basket hub.
I did notice that in the video, he had the style washer with the agitator, mine does not. Its just got that plate in the bottom.

dano126

Premium Member
update...I pulled...or attempted to pull the basket hub. I got the top plate of the basket hub off, but the metal hub gear would not budge. I didn't want to use anything to force it off, so I'm just at a standstill for now, as my house is total kaos, three dogs, a cat and a 9 month old baby. to be continued.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I did notice that in the video, he had the style washer with the agitator, mine does not. Its just got that plate in the bottom.
I got the top plate of the basket hub off, but the metal hub gear would not budge.
Ok, lets make sure you have the exact same model number as CoachDan MVWB300WQ1, that's very important. The model number tag is located under the lid.

Please take a photo or video of that metal hub gear and upload it here.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, I see your photo, are you referring to that metal stem sticking up? That's your drive shaft bearing assembly, that has play in it?

If so, your drive shaft bearing that has gone bad. You'd need a new drive shaft bearing and the tool kit to replace it.

Here's the drive shaft repair kit for this model:
Tub Seal and Bearing Kit W10435302

When you click that part link, you will see a video on how to do it.:)

Here's the Bearing driver and Seal tool to replace it:
Bearing Driver W10447783

Jake

dano126

Premium Member
Jake, No, the shaft does not have play in it. I had the basket out. That was one of the first things I did, thinking there was something trying to plug up the drain. But that wasnt the case, as it drained fine, it just wouldn't stop trying to drain when it was done draining. Anyway, when I was putting the basket back in, I noticed that the basket hub seemed sloppy. Thats where I was getting the impression something maybe too loose and letting it bind up. My friend in Florida that also works on appliances, thought maybe the basket wasn't being allowed to "float" in the tub. It seems to glide effortlessly up and down the shaft.
Hope that clears things up for you a little more. I know it doesn't help when I don't know the correct terminology for the parts. Please bare with me. I hope to get this darn thing going rather than going out and buying a new one. I'm thinking, its got to be something simple. There is not that many parts on the thing.
What is it that tells the washing machine that, " hey, I'm done draining over here, go ahead and stop"? Are there sensors on the drum that have that job?
And if I was to get a new washer, what brand would you recommend purchasing???
Thanks for your time and help...

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
This is the part you will possibly need then:
W10820039 Basket Hub

And if I was to get a new washer, what brand would you recommend purchasing???

Jake

dano126

Premium Member
Well now, another waste of money. But I guess that part shouldn't go bad for at least another 7 years. Replacing that basket hub did not help. I'm at a loss. I am going to send back the main board to the place I got if from, maybe see if he has another we can try. Hey Jake, how often do main boards go bad?
I'm kinda dumbfounded here...I'm thinking to myself, what tells the drain pump to stop pumping? Seems there should be a sensor in the tub that detects no water or one in the pump that detects no water being pumped.
I don't know, I'm freakin out here...and so is my wife!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's very odd, I'm puzzled too. Those boards don't go bad often.

You have a clear tube that connects to your control board and is called the water level pressure switch tube and it goes down towards the bottom side of your outer tub assembly. Take that clear tube off the control board and blow through that clear tube hard and see if that fixes it.:) Make sure ALL THE WATER is out of your tub first blow into that tube, that's very important. Also check that clear tube for any holes that may be in it, if blowing through it doesn't fix it.

Here it is for your model:
Hose WP353244

Here's the video that shows you:

Jake

dano126

Premium Member
I got a used board off ebay. When I ran the washer, it did the same as it did before. I think I can safely say its not the board. But what are the odds that the board I received has the same issues as mine?'

I'd like to know if there is way to bypass the lid switch so I can watch the action of the washer, while it is washing?

Then, I also hear of retrieving diagnostic codes by turning the selector knob like opening a combination lock, is there something I can do to see if there are error codes stored?

I also have a friend in Florida that does appliance repair. He said something about the basket being able to slide up and down. I can reach in the washer, and the basket seems to move up and down, freely.

I still may move the washer from its place and put in garage, where it will be easier to work on. I may take it back apart, and inspect things closer.

dano126

Premium Member
Ok, will do that too. I did notice that there was a black tube connecting the main board, is that the same one?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, there should only be one tube connecting to the control board that senses water in the tub, they may have changed it from clear to black.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Instead of starting over on a new thread I just moved all your previous posts to your own thread.:)

I got a used board off ebay.
I wouldn't advise that, you have no idea if the board is good or not, except taking their word for it, which I wouldn't.

I'd like to know if there is way to bypass the lid switch
No, there is no way to bypass the lid switch on this model.

Then, I also hear of retrieving diagnostic codes by turning the selector knob like opening a combination lock, is there something I can do to see if there are error codes stored?
Yes, I located the tech data sheet for your model:

Jake

dano126

Premium Member
Okay, gave my head some time to clear. Having another go at it. Took washer out to the garage. Got it all apart, basket out, hub assembly off. I noticed that the hub splines are worn down, but they seem to grip the shaft okay, but with that being said, this is a no load situation. So I"m thinking, under load, it may possibly slip? Why else would the splines be worn off on hub? If you zoom in on pictures, you can see the top side especially is worn down, not as bad on bottom.
Then, with just my hand, I turn the shaft one way then the other. It seems to move effortlessly. I don't detect any type of bearing grinding or roughness. Would that spline cause a Sd error code?

Attachments

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

dano126

Premium Member
Ok, as I am looking real, real close at this thing, I see the shaft is not looking the best. IF you can tell by my pictures I will attach, it looks to me that the shaft should be replaced. With that being said, is there anything else I need to look at before I make my final decision? Anything in the basket besides the bearings?
It looks as if I'm looking at about $220.50 to do this job... or buy a new washer...or, if anyone has the bearing installer tool they'd like to loan, that would help out.
A while back, I was working on a car that needed a special tool. It was quite costly. There was a guy whom had that tool and he was willing to send it to whom ever needed it. All he wanted was for the person he sent it to was to reimburse his shipping charges, and send it back in a timely manor. IF there is someone out there willing to do this, that would be cool.
I am first going to discuss the options with the wife.

Attachments

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, yes now I can see it close up, that's all you would need to replace is the tub seal and bearing kit I posted above in post #7.

Hopefully someone will loan you the bearing tool, I don't have that bearing tool or I would loan you mine.

You might try a local appliance repair shop in your area, they may loan it to you.

Jake