• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Maytag centennial dryer will not heat model MEDC200XW1

philgonyea

Premium Member
Model Number
MEDC200XW1
Brand
Maytag
As stated in topic i have a maytag centennial dryer and am only here because i am stumped what is wrong with it.

i have tested all the thermal fuses // cut off switch // high limits thermostats and even had continuity on the heating element. (they all passed)

i found that wierd and began to test voltage going to everything and im getting 120 volts on either end of the heating element which means the cycle is going through to the heating element and all switches have passed but the heating element is not glowing or heating up.

anyone have any idea whats going on here?

/ edit this model is electric not gas

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Put your meter probes on each heating element terminal at the same time and your meter should read 240 volts.

If you still don't get 240 volts, Did you first check your dual breaker in your home breaker box to make sure one is not tripped? I've seen that happen a lot on my service calls, if one is tripped and one is not, it will run but never heat.

If your dual breaker is not tripped, then pull your dryer out from the wall, then unplug it, then check your terminal block where your power cord connects to.

I see that happen a lot too, look here:
(click to enlarge)
FriedWires.jpg

Here's the dryer terminal block kit for your model:
Terminal Block Kit 279320

If you see no broken wires at the terminal block, then The first thing I always do is use my multimeter to do a volt test at the dryer terminal block, where the power cord connects to it.

First make sure your getting 230-240 volts at the terminal block in the back of your dryer. The outer wires are hot, middle wire is neutral. So put your volt meter probes on each of the two outer wires at the terminal block and see what your meter reads, you should get 230-240 volts between the two outer wires on the terminal block.

Let us know what you find.

Jake

philgonyea

Premium Member
i tested the terminal block and its 238 volts from outside hot wires and 118 volts from left to ground and 118 volts from right to ground.

how would i test my timer on this model?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Did you--->Put your meter probes on each heating element terminal at the same time and see if meter reads 240 volts?

Jake

philgonyea

Premium Member
yeah i tried this and it read 0.24 acv

also found the problem was no continuity between a and c on the timer.. ordered part already.

i thank you for reaching out!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok good, you may have seen another thread where I said this--->Unplug the dryer, then remove the back of the console so you can access the timer. Turn the timer to timed dry 40 minutes and check for continuity between the black wire on the timer and the red wire on the timer. If your meter doesn't show any continuity, replace the timer.

A is the Red wire
C is the Black wire

Here's the timer for your model:
W10894766 Timer

Jake