• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Maytag Centennial MVWC400XW4 grind sound during Agitate

andrewtbone

Premium Member
Model Number
MVWC400XW4
Brand
Maytag
My Maytag Centennial MVWC400XW4 makes a grinding or gear slipping sound during Agitate/Wash cycle every other motion.

I do not get any error codes on the diagnostics.
Have previously and recently replaced the Shift Actuator (fixed error code), Drive Hub and Splutch Cam & belt in that order. Both the Shift actuator & drive Hub seemed to fix problems but within a couple of weeks of replacing the Drive Hub, noticed cycle would not complete. Replaced the Splutch Cam & belt and double checked. Now we get a sort of grinding or gear slipping as if threads are stripped noise during agitate. Ran diagnostics, not error codes.
When I ran test cycle in diagnostic mode one can hear the sound. Please refer to the attached video around the 22 second mark and when both the Wash & Spin lights are on.

Any ideas on what this could be? And is there a simple way to bypass the lid lock so we can see what is happening during the agitate cycle?
Would prefer to fix right now.

Thank you in advance for your time and advice.

Attachments

• IMG_1517_HEVC.MOV
    36.4 MB · Views: 0

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Since you've already replace the splutch cam kit and shift actuator then only part left that would cause this problem is the transmission(gearcase) itself.

Here's the gearcase for your model: W11454372

And is there a simple way to bypass the lid lock so we can see what is happening during the agitate cycle?
No, but you can raise the entire top and watch it agitate.

Watch this video below to left the top, it starts at about the 1:00 mark:

Edit--->added more information
One other part could be the agitator itself stripping, remove the agitator and run it in that same cycle and see if it makes that noise with the agitator off.

Here's the washplate for your model:
WPW10553968 Washplate

Jake

andrewtbone

Premium Member
Jake, thank you for your detailed response.
Before looking to replace the gearcase/transmission which may be above my pay grade/abilities and not a good ROI, I am wondering if I could have messed up replacing the Drive hub or Splutch cam.
The replacements seemed simple enough and went ok.
I did not notice that when I went to remove the washplate when replacing the drive hub it was somewhat stuck. I was able to get it out eventually without having to force it. Now, when I went to check, I was not able to remove the washplate. It seems to be stuck. Could this be an issue and any advice on how to remove the washplate?
I did check the Splutch Cam and it seemed to move freely with the spring working etc.

I think my next step will be to try remove the washplate

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

If you have trouble getting the washplate off, Watch this video below, he uses 2 pull hook tools to get it off:

Jake

andrewtbone

Premium Member
Thank you, that makes sense. Seeing as the Spin and everything else seems to be Ok am I guessing that the Washplate might be problem. If the transmission/gearcase was failing then wouldn't that impact the Spin/rinse cycles s well?
And I trust that when I said "I did not notice" above I really meant "I did notice".

Again, thank you so much for quick and detailed responses.

This has been a great help.
Andy

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If the transmission/gearcase was failing then wouldn't that impact the Spin/rinse cycles s well?
Not necessarily Andy.

And I trust that when I said "I did not notice" above I really meant "I did notice".
Yes, I got it! I didn't even notice that you mentioned it. LOL

Jake