Maytag centennial washer MVWC400XW3 not spinning

SHEESHEE

Model Number
MVWC400XW3
Brand
Maytag
WHEN I RUN A REGULAR WASH CYCLE MY WASHING MACHINE DOESN'T SPIN OR DRAIN. I HAVE TO SET THE WASHER TO THE DRAIN AND SPIN OPTION FOR IT TO WORK. ANYONE KNOW WHAT COULD POSSIBLY BE WRONG? RAN DIAGNOSTICS AND THE CODES I RECEIVED ARE F9E1, F7E6,

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi, Please don't use all CAPS, in internet terms that's considered YELLING.

Here's the tech. data sheet for your model: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1HKA2d9bIVnUbPoj1Lm3kaXLuAzNzwVdW

F9E1 – LONG DRAIN

Fault is displayed when the water level does not change after the drain pump is on for 10 minutes.
• Is the drain hose or the drain pump clogged? Check tub sump under impeller for obstructions.
• Is the drain hose height greater than 96"?
• Check pressure hose connection from tub to pressure sensor. Is hose pinched, kinked, plugged, or leaking air?
• Is the pump running? If not, see TEST #7: Drain Pump, page 17.

When your washer is draining pull the drain hose up from the drain pipe and watch how fast the water drains out, it come out full force.

Jake

Big9iron

Premium Member
I also have MVWC400XW3 that won’t spin. Had small load of one set of queen sheets that became off balance. (First time that has happened since washer purchased in 2011) I rearranged load, placed in drain and spin cycle and walked away. When I came back the laundry room was filled with smoke. Washer drains but won’t spin. Ran diagnostics and received Fault code was F7E1. I Replaced actuator part# WPW10006355 which shows it was scorched. That did not fix problem. Just replaced lid lock part# W10404050. Did calibration. Ran small load of 4 knit shirts on rinse and spin. Still no spin, lid lock was not on. After clearing all codes and rerunning diagnostics I am still getting F7E1 code only. Not sure how much time or money to throw at this thing. I don’t have a meter to do the electrical checks. Not sure where to go from here.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
A multimeter is a must if you want to fix it yourself.:)

Look here: W10606242+List of what might cause an F7 E1 Error Code

Do everything it says to check for error code F7E1.

If you don't want to go through all the troubleshooting steps, then your looking at a new washer, the average life of washers now is only 8-12 years, and yours is 8 years old.

Jake

Big9iron

Premium Member
Jake, thanks for the info.
another question.
When the washer is empty and off, the basket moves freely but the impeller moves with it. Should I be able to move the basket independently from the impeller? I can not, they are locked together. During the last run test, I ran a rinse and spin cycle with 4 small items. The lid did not lock so I was able to look inside while it was running. I know with the lid lock off the washer was probably not operating properly but while agitating the impeller did not move independently from the basket. Is this a problem?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Should I be able to move the basket independently from the impeller?
No, not until the agitator gear in the transmission starts turning per the motor.

Jake