Maytag Centennial

mddesign

Does anyone have any experience with the Maytag Centennial line. I am interested in both quality and washing performance.

cd3333

Centennial washer/dryer

I bought this set in July after loving/owning Maytag for the past 20 years. The dryer is ok, but the washer is unbelievable noisy when operating. I am very unhappy with the set, and wish I had just spend the extra money and gotten the new front loader.

swong

Premium Member
Stay away from GE/Hotpoint

Like yourself I also had an affinity to Maytag until their Neptune model debacle with all its problems.....mold, mildew, wax motor taking out the control board, etc. My old Maytag washer lasted 28 years and was a real joy to repair until I found it more and more difficult to get repair parts especially the timer assembly. If you can fit a front loader this is the now preferred washer due to it being more energy efficient but more importantly it just plain washes clothes better. Me, I couldn't fit a front loader in the laundry room hence had to stay with a top loader. I have a GE top loader and my purchase decision was based on ConsumerReport's glowing accolades about GE being the most reliable top loader washer made.....WRONG! It may be the "most" reliable but when it finally breaks (and it will break!) there is a high probability it will be the transmission or the embedded brake built into the transmission. If GE had a more robust commercial/industrial type transmission and better quality paint and used porcelin on thicker coverssvit would be a worth considering because the majority of the other parts is easily acessible when needed.

Last edited:

swong

Premium Member
Fyi

I still have my 28 year old Maytag model DG608 gas dryer which was the matching dryer to the Maytag washer I replaced. If you have a old Maytag dryer which is still useable think twice before you decide to retire it if considering getting matching washer/dryer. The old Maytag gas dryers are built like tanks, easy to service, huge abundance of parts, and you can literally strip the parts down to the base pan and replace it in under a day. My Maytag dryer broke only once in 28 years and when it broke it was not because of parts but becuase it required a mongo cleaning....lint causing the gas dryer to pre-maturely shut down. A thorough cleaning every other year is typically all that is required to keep it running. I am still using the original Maytag dryer drive belt...look's like hell but it refuses to fray or snap but I do have one nearby when it finally goes!....I'm 60 years old and I can see it finally snapping after I'm dead and can just see the wife brow-beating me at my grave site for not changing it out!....:p :p :p