Maytag commercial washer - can I open the pump to see if there is an obstruction?

Kristal Lee-Anne

Premium Member
Model Number
80scommercial
Brand
Maytag
I have an old Maytag commercial washer from the 80s. I got it as a donation from a housing coop which gave it away because no one was using it anymore. They all have their own machines now.

The machine enters a wash cycle and tries to spin out the water, but the water won't empty. According to what I am reading the pump is blocked, so I opened it up to see if I could pull out whatever is blocking it.

I cannot see or feel anything, but something could be inside the pump apparatus. There are no screws to remove the top, and I am scared that prying it off will break it or make it no longer watertight when the top is put back. What should I do now?

Here is a photo of the current state of affairs https://photos.app.goo.gl/Gvr1wQeb7b7gxpJm7

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
The pump doesn't come apart. If there's something in the pump usually you can see it through one of the two openings. The easiest way to check if there is something in the pump when there's water in the tub is remove the drain hose . Water in the tub goes into the pump at the top and out the drain hose. If water doesn't come out of the pump it's blocked. Turn the pump pulley by hand and see if it turns.