• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Maytag D/W Air Water Inlet

JaredJ

Premium Member
Model Number
MDBH968AWW3
Brand
Maytag
I just inherited a Maytag MDBH968AWW3 from a neighbor who got a new dishwasher and was going to throw this one out. My question is regarding the air water inlet (part# 99002652) on the left side of the tub.

The inlet appears to be an air gap type device. I've noticed some evidence of water (white deposits) around the inlet on the left side of the tub. I don't see a cover or valve on the inlet -- it just looks like a plastic box with a approx. 2" hole that empties into the tub - a tube from the water valve sprays water into the box, and the water empties through the hole into the tub. The seal (part# 6−919082) and grille (part# W10169388) are installed inside the tub.

I'm hoping someone familiar with this part can tell me if that sounds correct or if I need a replacement?

I'm concerned about two things - 1) overspray that will result in water on the floor/cabinets behind the installed dishwasher, and 2) steam and water escaping from the tub during the wash cycle and damaging cabinets/bottom of the countertop.

Seems like a weird design to have hot water spraying into an open box, and essentially an open hole on the side of the tub? I'd expect some sort of one way valve or flap to prevent steam from escaping, or something like the wax motor actuated vent on the front of the unit?

(Starting to wonder if I got the whole story from my neighbor, or if he just saved himself a trip to the dump!)

Thanks in advance - this is my first post, but this forum seems like it's been a great resource and a help to many people!

Last edited:

JaredJ

Premium Member
Sorry, admins! I just noticed I misposted this in Ranges rather than Dishwashers - can I trouble someone to move this post to Maytag Dishwashers? Sorry!! (Dang! Screwed up my first post!!)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

JaredJ

Premium Member
Thanks, Jake!

It still seems weird to me that there's basically a gaping hole in the side of the tub, but I guess that's how it's designed!

Not sure why my neighbor got rid of this unit - I felt kind of bad to ask for details (looking a gift horse in the mouth and all), but I might ask the next time I see him.

Haven't had a chance to hook it up yet - hopefully this weekend! (I may be back for some parts after I install it. I wouldn't be surprised if I need a door seal or flowplate...)

Thanks again!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, thats fine.

Jake

paradise710

Premium Member
I sort-of have the same issue. I actually installed the Dishwasher without counter-tops and pre-tested. On the left-hand side, the water inlet is a box with air gap. I found that steam just pours out and up since heat rises. Could I seal the box with silicone? As you can see from the picture, there is a yellow stain from the steam on the tub. How do I stop this from damaging my new cabinet?

Maytag Model: MDB4100AWB

IMG01026-20120711-1929.jpgIMG01025-20120711-1928.jpgIMG01024-20120711-1928.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Apparently something is wrong with it thats making this issue happen, thats the only part that it could be.

Now its very strange that steam is coming from there, you have a vent inside your inner door liner that should be letting the steam out, do you notice steam coming from the upper door?

Jake

paradise710

Premium Member
I barely have any steam coming from the upper door. This dishwasher is black so it would be very noticeable! Is there some kind of door or check valve in the inner door that could stick closed?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, you have a flapper device in the inner door panel, when you open and close the door you should hear that flapper open and close, try it now and report back.

Jake

paradise710

Premium Member
Can't hear any flapper when I open the door. I assume that it's sticking?? Does it work on a balance system or spring system? Just want to make sure nothing flies out when I take it apart!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Then check that flapper, nothing will fly out when you take the inner door panel off.

Jake

paradise710

Premium Member
I took the panel off and found two solenoids, one for the soap door and the other for the vent flapper. So the door wouldn't make any sound if I were to open and close the door. I took the solenoid off the vent and noticed that it just pushes a type of spring loaded something-or-other that opens and closes the door. I managed to push my finger inside since the flapper is encased in a non-removable shroud. It moved the flapper perfectly. But it seemed to get stuck after a few pushes. I got it loose and it operates as normal as I can think. To test this solenoid, can I just apply 115V power to it and see if the plunger moves out? Would I damage it if I apply direct power to it?
IMG01029-20120714-1700.jpgIMG01031-20120714-1703.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, apply 115v to it to see if it works, you won't damage it.

Jake

paradise710

Premium Member
Yeah, it failed. Wouldn't move. So I picked up another one. Installed it and voila, steam comes out the front of the door. Although, some moisture still seams to come out of the air gap?? Should I be concerned? It's not nearly as much.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Good job.

some moisture still seams to come out of the air gap?? Should I be concerned? It's not nearly as much.
Thats normal, you will get some steam from the air gap.

Jake