Status
Not open for further replies.

TonyH

Premium Member
Model Number
MDBTT79AWB
Brand
Maytag
Installed model MDBTT79AWB in mid 2004. Has performed well but door release handle/button has come loose and is no longer attached to release mechanism. This handle is floppy-loose and the door will still open but requires increased effort. Has anyone experienced this problem and how did you fix it? ( -have tools and experience to dive into this but don't want to "explore" too much...would like to know if someone has done this before.)

TonyH

Premium Member
Broken plastic pins

I removed the inner door panel and found the handle broken. It has integrally molded plastic pins that provide a pivot for the handle to push against the release assembly. These were broken off. Also noticed that there were some small fingers molded on the back of the switch panel that were snapped off. I'm not sure what these are for and I can't see how they are needed for the latch operation. My hunch is that they aid in positioning the handle during factory assembly.

I don't know why the handle broke but it did so in stages. I think one pin broke, and then everything else broke because of added misalignment and stress.

WPW10130695 Dishwasher Door Latch Assembly

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good Tony, thanks for the update.

Jake

TonyH

Premium Member
Got the new part and immediately saw that it has been upgraded with steel pin inserts to reinforce the plastic pins. Installed fairly easily.

The door latch handle assembly now seems to work better than ever.

BTW, my hat's off to professionals who have to deal with this type of repair; the worst part was cleaning all the muck off the bottom door edge that I didn't even know was there. -just assumed that since it was a dishwasher, it would keep itself clean!

Thanks for the forum!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Good job fixing it Tony.:)

Thanks for the update.

Jake

marilyng

Yahoo!! that worked a treat!

Thanks, guys, for posting the wonderful instructions. Just fixed the door latch on my dishwasher.

Just pleased as punch that I managed this, and saved $$$$$

:D

bigj1977

Problem

I'm probably the only guy that did exactly what was said and ended up breaking the hand pins. I got the larger pins in (broke the tip off one side) but now I cannot get the little pins in place. I have tried pushing up on the handle but the plastic is turning white as if it is about to break. HELP?!?!?

DCor

Premium Member
I have a MDB7600AWW.
The door latch is boken but still works for a sensitive touch!
Wondering if the part, and repair would be about the same as Tony's?
Did you have to take all the torque screws off around the whole door, or just the few around the top plastic front piece? Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, it would be the same as Tony's, yes, you have to take all of the torque screws off from the inside of the plastic door liner.

Jake

DCor

Premium Member
Success!

Well, another frugal repair made possible by this site!

Followed Tony's instructions with success.

We're going on four years with this DW,
knock on wood, for maintenence, I'm fairly pleased!

Thanks to TonyH, and Jake...again, for the indirect advice.
I'm now 2 for 2 on Maytag repairs......no wonder why that guy in the tv commercial is never busy.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, good job fixing it.:)

Jake

Earl D

Premium Member
broken handle

Tony,

Unfortunately I too have had to replace the handle on mine...twice! I've also replaced the circuit board. For some reason I can't get the "better" latch here in OKC, I keep getting the same plastic garbage. Oh well, it's an easy fix and as one member mentioned it's only $6. How about sharing the part number on the latch you purchased?

Last edited:

dah56

Premium Member
Broken Handle

I've just received my new handle assembly. I have problems because I can't figure out how to disconnect the switches from the existing one. Switches are on the new assembly but I try disconnecting the wiring it won't bulge. Please help.

Thanks..:)

Traveler62

Premium Member
Broken door latch again

I have an MDB6600AWW that has broken it's latch for the second time. It is only 5 years old. Does anyone have the info for the part that is improved? The other time I replaced the latch, it seemed like it was not very good quality and didn't really snap well when it latched. I went to a Maytag parts place in Kansas City last time. Thanks

kiheilesley

Premium Member
Matag dishwasher door latch

Hey guys, read all the great posts....but, I have a Maytag (2004) quiet series 100 dishwasher that the door latch just broke. The door is latched closed and the latch broke up into the upper handle. I do not know HOW to get the door open to see about repairing it, and ordering a new latch??? please help?
kiheilesley

Okay, I looked at the door again, no way in, so I just JERKED on it real hard, figuring what the heck, the worst I could do is BREAK the door latch....
So, now I just need to order the new latch for the MDBH950AWB

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

kiheilesley

Premium Member
maytag dishwasher door latch problem

Thank you so much Jake!
Thanks for posting the service manual pages, as you know it is no longer available.
Great service you provide!!!
mahalo,
lesley

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help lesley.:)

Jake

Traveler62

Premium Member
My MDB6600AWW door handle is about to break again. Last time was July 2008. This will be my 3rd or 4th time. I can't believe that the replacement part has not been re-enforced in some way to prevent this from happening. I better get the new one ordered now.:(

Status
Not open for further replies.