FIXED Maytag dishwasher door latch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
My MDB6600AWW door handle is about to break again. Last time was July 2008. This will be my 3rd or 4th time. I can't believe that the replacement part has not been re-enforced in some way to prevent this from happening. I better get the new one ordered now.:(
Yes, thats very unusual for it to keep breaking. Don't know why thats happening to yours.

Jake

jworthin

Premium Member
Door latch problem here as well

I have a Maytag mdbh965aww dishwasher and my latch is encountering the same problem. I lift to open, it makes a clicking sound yet stays engaged. I have to press harder on the latch and pull for the door to open. I believe I need to remove the torque screws and follow the same procedure :confused: ??

A service manual would be great :3:. Thank you in advance :D

jmshaffer

Appliance Tech
one problem I've seen is poor installations helping to cause this issue.

Take a sharpie and mark the door liner directly in the center of the latch, then push the door to the almost closed position and see if the center of the line is in line with the center of the door strike. If it is not, you'll need to adjust the level and or total installation. If those strikes to not go into the latch dead center, it only becomes a matter of time until they break. The door should close and open very easily.

They were reinforced with a metal rod years ago but I mainly see repeat issues if the install is terrible.

jworthin

Premium Member
one problem I've seen is poor installations helping to cause this issue.

Take a sharpie and mark the door liner directly in the center of the latch, then push the door to the almost closed position and see if the center of the line is in line with the center of the door strike. If it is not, you'll need to adjust the level and or total installation. If those strikes to not go into the latch dead center, it only becomes a matter of time until they break. The door should close and open very easily.

They were reinforced with a metal rod years ago but I mainly see repeat issues if the install is terrible.
Thank you for the quick reply. It's dead on center. I noticed that after the door is opened, the latch remains in the engaged position and can be wiggled a bit. I'm guessing that is a sigh it's time to replace it?

jmshaffer

Appliance Tech
Yeah sounds like it. No lie, I've seen them just plain break. Easy repair.

Kill the breaker, remove screws T20 Torx from the door liner. Pull wiring off of dispenser and vent. Then just pull liner up and prop door open with it wedged under counter. Pull black wire connector and white wire connector off door switches. They are very very tight so wear protective gloves. That's about it. :p Good luck

jmshaffer

Appliance Tech
one last thing, don't just get the handle if it is available that way, get the whole latch assembly. A lot of times, the switches will break when you pull the wiring connectors off the old latch. Just an FYI

jworthin

Premium Member
one last thing, don't just get the handle if it is available that way, get the whole latch assembly. A lot of times, the switches will break when you pull the wiring connectors off the old latch. Just an FYI
Part arrived and repaired in less than 20 minutes. Actually this is a very easy repair that anyone can do.

Thank you again for the info. I greatly appreciate it!

bpliss

Maytag handle help is needed

I removed the inner door panel and found the handle broken. It has integrally molded plastic pins that provide a pivot for the handle to push against the release assembly. These were broken off. Also noticed that there were some small fingers molded on the back of the switch panel that were snapped off. I'm not sure what these are for and I can't see how they are needed for the latch operation. My hunch is that they aid in positioning the handle during factory assembly. I'm NOT going to buy a new switch panel to replace these!

I don't know why the handle broke but it did so in stages. I think one pin broke, and then everything else broke because of added misalignment and stress. The good news: a new handle only costs about $10 and I'll have it in a couple of days.
Tony, I have the same problem with my Maytag dishwasher MDB-3.
I got the latch and handle out and found the same both pins are broken.
Now, I need only a handle and I'm ready to order it. But where ? Did you order entire assembly - latch + handle ? Or you found only handle somewhere ?

totvos

Premium Member
Ugh, I am having the same latch problem on my QuietSeries 300, but in my case, the latch broke with the door closed. Now, I cannot open it (and with a ton of dishes in it!). Is there some trick to getting it open. All references to the service manual are now broken, so I cannot get a mental picture of how the latch works to press in the right way.

I *so* despise this appliance. I have already replace the control panel twice, and now this.

totvos

Premium Member
I have tried using a screwdriver over the top of the latch handle because now it is very, very loose and I can easily get over it. But I have tried levering and pushing, and not found the sweet spot.

Can you give me more of a feel for what I am trying to do?

totvos

Premium Member
The latch assembly is repaired. Just as an FYI to others searching here in the future, I watched carefully how the tech opened the door, and it was embarrassingly easy. In a pair of Vise Grips he clamped an allen wrench, then he reached over the *top* of the door about midway and gave a twist. There is a plastic post coming out horizontally against which the latch engages (kind of like some child-proofing latches), and the twist lifts the post to cause it to unlatch.

Jgraves

I have a Maytag Quiet Series 300.
I can't find any model numbers on this unit but I do see a adhesive residue where it looks like it might have been on the top side of the inside of the door left of the latch.
I also have a broken door latch assembly but dont know how to order parts without the model number.
Any suggestions?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Click here to locate the model#.

If you still can't find it, you'll need to remove the door latch assembly and there should be a part# engraved on it.

Jake

davejinpa

latch on my Maytag won't work

I was having trouble with the latch on my Maytag, it was getting stuck in the depressed position. I inserted a knife in the little slot where the latch is and pushed the plastic lever inside. Now that I have done that the lever will not release and the door will not latch, any suggestions??

Dutchmanaz

Premium Member
i'm having the dickens of a time with my Maytag Steam Clean MDB7851AWW latch. I got it out tonight, but one of the switches on the left side came apart while removing from the latch assembly. The right side switch stayed in tact. I've taken the cover off to get an idea of how to reassemble the internals on the other side, but thus far am unsuccessful. Does anyone know of a good way to get the tiny spring and copper "switch" that's inside aligned again? Gathering from the wiring, I don't think it can be replaced easily. Would appreciate any help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Once a switch comes apart its a nightmare to try to get it back together, and it was likely weak to begin with thats why it came apart.

Its best to order the door latch assembly which includes both switches.

Here's the door latch assembly for your model you can order here: W10130694 Dishwasher Door Latch Assembly

Here's the repair manual for your model, it will show you how to access and replace it: www.applianceblog.com/manuals/16022783.pdf

Jake

Dutchmanaz

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. I appreciate the info. I'll order the part. Does this include the handle itself as well, or does that need ordered separately?

Status
Not open for further replies.