Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
It includes the handle.

Jake

newmanmb

Premium Member
Need help ordering replacement latch

Hi,

The latch on my Maytag Quiet Series 300 dishwasher, model number MDB5601AWQ broke, and I'd like to replace it. Can you help me make sure that I order the right replacement assembly? Any tips on replacing it?

Thanks,

Mark

It includes the handle.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

The latch on my Maytag Quiet Series 300 dishwasher, model number MDB5601AWQ broke, and I'd like to replace it. Can you help me make sure that I order the right replacement assembly? Any tips on replacing it?

Thanks,

Mark
Hi Mark,

You need this one:

Door Latch WPW10130695

It's not that hard to replace. You'll need to turn the power off to the dishwasher. You'll need to remove the inner door liner screws and disconnect the wires from the dispenser assembly. once you raise the liner out the way, your latch assembly is accessible, and can be removed from the control panel, disconnect the wires from the switches, and reverse the procedure.

Jake

newmanmb

Premium Member
Thanks Jake! Part ordered, and should be waiting for me when I get home tonight. Is there any trick to pulling the wire harnesses off of the the old assembly, or do I just need to pull hard enough?

newmanmb

Premium Member
Dang it, that didn't fix my problem after all. The latch definitely needed replacing, but I was incorrectly blaming my washers inability to start on the latch. Maybe you can offer me some suggestions? Before and after replacing the latch the same issue: Only three of the buttons on the panel seem to work at all. Delay, hi temp, and tough scrub. Since Start won't work, I can't get the washer to work at all. I tried removing the power for 15 minutes, and had the same problem after powering back up. Also, I tried to run the Field Test, but since the start button doesn't work, it won't start. I'm hoping it's not the control panel, because as far as I can tell, that's a ~$180 part. For that kind of money, I don't know if it's worth fixing.

Thanks Jake! Part ordered, and should be waiting for me when I get home tonight. Is there any trick to pulling the wire harnesses off of the the old assembly, or do I just need to pull hard enough?

newmanmb

Premium Member
Thanks for all of your help. I took the door apart, pulled the ribbon cable off, cleaned it with some q-tips and rubbing alcohol, and put it all back together. Now everything is working great. Hopefully that does the trick going forward.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, good job.:) If the ribbon cable still keeps giving you more issues down the road and the q-tip fix doesn't fix it anymore, then you can order the control panel, but hopefully that will keep it going for a good while.

Jake

Traveler62

Premium Member
My MDB6600AWW door handle is about to break again. Last time was July 2008. This will be my 3rd or 4th time. I can't believe that the replacement part has not been re-enforced in some way to prevent this from happening. I better get the new one ordered now.:(
Well, it is broken again. I considered replacing the dishwasher, but I just replaced the basket and it is running fine, so buy another handle. At least they are fairly cheap to replace vs. replacing the whole machine.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thats very odd that your handles keep breaking.

Are you replacing the whole handle kit assembly with includes the latch and switches?

This one:
Door Latch WPW10130695

Jake

Traveler62

Premium Member
Jake, That is the one I order. This time I am going to square up the latch exactly with the insert. It is maybe off about 1/8". That must be causing a bind? When I get the new latch installed, I will remove the top 2 anchors that hold it to the counter and see if it lines up any better. Is there some way on the hinges for the door to help align the latch? I have the service manual, but didn't see instructions for this. Can you use the top anchors to skew the alignment?

Here is how I checked the alignment with scotch tape and a dry erase marker. It is out of alignment. Note the two black dots that were made by the key on the scotch tape.
IMAG0141.jpg

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Its been a long time since I changed one myself.

Is there some way on the hinges for the door to help align the latch?
Yes, but first remove the lower rack and lower kick panel and make sure all 4 legs are sung on the floor and using a torpedo level that the unit is level front to back and side to side so it does not break again.

Can you use the top anchors to skew the alignment?
Yes, after you've done the leveling with all 4 legs sung on the floor.

Jake

Johninga

On the maytag series 200 door latch I had a broken latch and purchased a new one. After connecting the wires no power. Can you tell me if white wires go on left and is there any difference on which way it plugs up

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.