Maytag Dishwasher DWU8270AAE lower arm not spinning

thehill

Premium Member
After reading reviews from people who have owned the appliance for more then 2 seconds, there are a lot of complaints for the control board. Does Maytag use different control boards on different model then the MDB4949SHZ. The complaint is there is a ribbon connector where the connections corrode and fail. Does this model have that issue?

Bosh seems to be the most reliable under $1000 but you have to constantly clean out the filter so no way I want to do that.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Well you can believe all the reviews you want, but do those people go out to service these day in and day out like I do? I think not!

The complaint is there is a ribbon connector where the connections corrode and fail. Does this model have that issue?
NO SIR, IT DOES NOT.:)

Trust me, Maytag is best. I've only been doing this 32 years day in and day out.:)

Jake

thehill

Premium Member
Well I only ask you because you seen and fixed the real issues for 32 years so I thought you would be the best person to ask:cool:

Ok thought before I hung it up I'd take it apart and see if I missed anything. I think I may have.

1. I lost the nut that holds on the spray arm support (#8 in the diagram). So I ordered two just in case since they were cheap. But they are too long to allow the jump up nozzle to fit - see picture below. So I cut it. But I cut it probably too short. So it could be the jump up nozzle isn't sealing. How long is this nut supposed to be. Should be cut so the nozzle just allows the wash cap to be screwed on or is there supposed to be some play for the nozzle to actually jump up?

2. The back wash arm is chipped out. But it still fits. It leaves some gap on both sides between the wash arm support and the back wash arm as you can see in the photo. Could this be causing enough pressure loss so that it doesn't spin. I thought about putting some silicone to allow me to test.

3. The dishwasher motor sounds louder than it used to. Tore it all the way down to the drain impeller. There is no play in the shaft but the shaft is rusty. I'm wondering if any leakage got to the motor. I've attached a video so you can hear the motor.

4. Where are the seal rings supposed to go. I put them inside the strainer to seal between the strainer and the wash arm ?

I have not taken the drain impeller off. But it seems to pump out the water ok. Any reason to go any further?

I have sucked out all of the water and filled and sucked out until the water is perfectly clear. No soap at all now. I think the suds might be from an afresh I ran before.

I did find the lower support arm so I could replace it if this doesn't work. But not sure with the motor getting louder if I should. I could rebuild it with a new pump and arm or but a new unit. What would you do. It seems like this will wash much faster than the new units.

Attachments

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Your motor sounds shot per your video.

Jake

thehill

Premium Member
Ok took panel off and looked at motor. It doesn't appear there is any leakage through to motor. The noise sounds like me it might be coming from under the drain impeller or top of motor.

Attachments

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, the motor bearing is shot, and thus its not washing like it should.

I used to replace a lot of these when I worked as a Montgomery Ward and Sears tech. I average 8 service calls a day. 8x5=40 service calls a week times 52 weeks times 32 years. I've been on 66,560 service calls in my life. So I've basically seen it all.:)

Jake

thehill

Premium Member
Hey there there's a guy that has a previously owned motor on ebay for 39.95. I wonder if I could sell mine too :cool:.

I put it back together. I sealed up the wash arm and put the nut so the pop up nozzle is further up. Now the wash arm does move but I don't think as much as it should. I washed a load and they came out clean. But I guess I'll go ahead and replace it. Al least I know I did everything I could.