• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Maytag Dishwasher humming

lindaoz

Premium Member
Model Number
F85132339
Brand
Maytag
We had a Maytag dishwasher installed a few months ago. The past few days we were driven nuts by a humming and weren't sure where it was coming from. It sounded like a sump pump going on and off but we don't have one. Went under our house, in the laundry room, the garage... We looked everywhere. My husband even though it may be something in the new garbage disposal we installed last week. Nope! I came in and was standing in the kitchen and realized it was our dishwasher. It seems to run fine when we use it, but it apparently tries to turn something on in it. Noticed the "cancel" light was lit and so I held it down the required 3 seconds and it went off. Great! No! It comes back on and the humming starts again. I've resorted to leaving the door open. Any ideas or suggestions greatly appreciated!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
My husband even though it may be something in the new garbage disposal we installed last week.
It maybe the drain pump humming, is there water in the tub that won't drain when you press cancel?

If you put in a new garbage disposal, and the drain hose connects to that, make sure the little knockout plug has been removed, I have seen many installers forget to remove it, then the dishwasher won't drain at all, thus the drain pump will just hum.
disposal-plug.jpg

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent lindaoz, glad to hear that's all it was. (y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake