• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Maytag Dishwasher MDB4949SHB0 - sprayer arms not spinning

Status
Not open for further replies.

animateme

Premium Member
Model Number
MDB4949SHB0
Brand
Maytag
Hello,

Hoping to get some suggestions here. Neither of my Maytag MDB4949SHB0 dishwasher's sprayer arms are not spinning. I have cleaned them thoroughly to ensure that there is no debris blocking the water flow. I recently replaced the whole motor pump assembly, which includes the chopper and the impeller. I just took apart this motor pump assembly to make sure that the parts are not worn or stuck, and to verify that all is clean. All looks good.

By quickly opening the door during the wash cycle, I can clearly see that the spray arms are not spinning and that they are in the same position that I left them in, before starting the cycle. At the moment that I open the door I can see the stream of water coming out of the spray arm holes, with considerable force.

The spray arms spin freely when I spin them manually. I even applied some oil to the junction where the rotation happens, but made no difference.

I also made sure that all is clean in the drain filter area.

If all is clean, the motor pump, chopper and impeller are fine, the arms spin freely by hand and the water pressure coming out of the spray arm jets is quite sufficient, what other reason could be causing the arms not to spin?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

animateme

Premium Member
Thank you for your response.

The part that I replaced is the entire pump/motor assembly #12, which includes the pump motor, impeller and chopper.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
How much water is in the bottom of the tub?

If you add more water manually will the spray arms spin?

Jake

animateme

Premium Member
Thank you Jake.
There is plenty water at the bottom of the tub. To make sure that lack of water is not the issue, I did try adding more water manually but this made no difference.

animateme

Premium Member
Is there any chance that the spray jet holes are no longer aimed at the proper angle to force the rotation? I don´t see any apparent damage but replacing the spray arms be a possible solution?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

animateme

Premium Member
Jake,
When I open the door mid-cycle, the water briefly shoots out from the bottom sprayer arm a few inches beyond the dishwasher's height, which I assume is a good indicator that the water is being properly circulated.

I saw on youtube that someone posted a video shot from inside a dishwasher with a Go-Pro camera. I am going to try to get a hold of this type of cam and see if I can shoot a video from the inside to get a peek at what is really going on.

Thank you for your help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, yes use that Go-Pro camera.

Are the dishes coming out clean? Do you run the hot water at the sink first before you start the dishwasher? So the first fill is NOT COLD?

Jake

animateme

Premium Member
Only the dishes that are lined up with the static sprayer arms come out clean. The ones not aligned to the arms do not come out clean.

I do make sure that the water is hot before starting the cycle.
Thanks.

animateme

Premium Member
Hi Jake,
I managed to get the video of what is happening inside the dishwasher and as I suspected, none of the sprayer arms are not spinning.
Apparently the water is being sprayed with sufficient force, do you agree?
One thing I notice is that the water sprays increase and decrease in a cycle. Is this normal?
I will greatly appreciate your comments.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No, that's not normal, it should be a constant spray from the wash motor.

Jake

animateme

Premium Member
Hello,

Following up on this issue, for the sake of anyone else experiencing the same problem, I would like to provide an update.

I replaced the pump motor but the issue was not solved. The spray arms would still not spin. With the aid of the GoPro camera, I placed it at different locations inside the washer, to try to see what was happening inside from different angles. I noticed that there was a considerable water leak coming from below the lower spray arm, along its edge. From closely inspecting the spray arm, I saw that there was thin gap on its edge, as if the metal parts had spread apart. This is where the leak was taking place.

In order to test if this leak was causing the problem of the arms not spinning, I sealed this gap with silicone and when running the washer both arms started spinning. The silicone did not last very long, and peeled away, but I ordered a new replacement sprayer arm and the sprayer arms are now spinning fine.

The issue was that the water leak was preventing enough water pressure from reaching the jet holes that spin the arm. I never imagined that this would be the cause of the problem, as apparently the spray arms looked fine initially. I would not have able to detect this without the GoPro camera showing what was going on inside.

Thank you again Jake for your assistance and I hope that this experience that I am sharing here helps someone else.

arm1_.jpg

arm2_.jpg

arm3_.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent @animateme good job finding the problem was the lower spray arm.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.