• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Maytag dishwasher MDB4949SKZ throws F9E1 code won't fill with water but drains fine

danthemang

Premium Member
Model Number
MDB4949SKZ
Brand
Maytag
Dishwasher maybe gets a trickle of water coming in when I turn it on. It mostly makes a buzzing noise for about 10 minutes, before throwing an F9E1 code.
I have pulled it out and checked all the tubing. I've even taken the pump off and examined the chopper assembly, per this thread, but it is completely in tact.
When I put water in the tub and turn it on then off, it drains all of it out, no problem. I'm not sure if it needs a new pump. I wouldn't think it would be able to drain completely if the pump were having issues. Can you think of anything else I may be overlooking?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Did you take off the water supply line to the dishwasher water inlet valve and check to make sure you had good water pressure to the dishwasher?

I always turn the water supply line off underneath the customers sink, then remove the water supply line to the water inlet valve, then get a bucket or container to catch water in, then put the water supply line in the bucket and turn the water supply on and see how fast its going into the bucket, it should have a very strong stream of water pressure into the bucket.

Also check the screen on the water inlet valve to make sure its not clogged up either.

Here's the water inlet valve for your model: Valve-Inlt W11434044

Jake

danthemang

Premium Member
Did you take off the water supply line to the dishwasher water inlet valve and check to make sure you had good water pressure to the dishwasher?

I always turn the water supply line off underneath the customers sink, then remove the water supply line to the water inlet valve, then get a bucket or container to catch water in, then put the water supply line in the bucket and turn the water supply on and see how fast its going into the bucket, it should have a very strong stream of water pressure into the bucket.

Also check the screen on the water inlet valve to make sure its not clogged up either.

Here's the water inlet valve for your model: Valve-Inlt W11434044

Jake
Thanks for your response. I took off the water supply line and the pressure is great. I took a look at the screen and inlet valve as well. It did not seem clogged up or anything. I've included a video of what it sounds like when I turn it on. You can hear the loud buzzing accompanied by the water.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, that new water inlet valve should fix it, yes keep us posted.:)

Jake

danthemang

Premium Member
So, the new inlet valve did not fix the problem. I had a technician out and he thinks it is either a bad float switch or it needs a new control board, but they won't know for sure until they start working on it. He recommended we consider a new dishwasher because a new control board would be around $600 dollars to get installed.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's very strange.

F9E1 is a drain pump motor issue, look here:

Jake