• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Maytag Dishwasher MDB8989SHZ no water coming in

Helpmeplease23

Premium Member
Model Number
MDB8989SHZ
Brand
Maytag
I bought this dishwasher used from a dishonest craigslist seller. It does not seem to allow water into the unit. I was able to swap the inlet valve with a valve from a different dishwasher and it did not work. I also checked the overflow valve and it is working properly. Then I bought a new control board for it and that did not change anything. I took a video of what it’s doing. I turn it on, and you can hear the water is not coming in, after a minute the drain motor runs, then the cancel light comes on in the blue light turns off on the front. Any idea what is going on here?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

It could be a float or float switch issue too.

Check the tub float, The tub float is inside the tub, move it up and down and you should hear it click each time you move it up and down.

If you don't hear the click sound when moving the tub float up and down, check your float switch.

Here's the float switch for your model, when you click the link to it you will see 2 videos, 1 on how to access it, 1 on how to ohm test it:

Disconnect power to the dishwasher before ohm testing it.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Then it must be a broken wire from the control board to the water inlet valve, check those wires.

Jake

Helpmeplease23

Premium Member
Can’t see any breaks in the wires anywhere. Just for the heck of it I measured the resistance on the circulation motor and got 6 ohms. Sound right?

Helpmeplease23

Premium Member
I hot wired the motor and that works fine so must not be that. Only other thing left if the actual button strip on top of the door.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
- Unplug dishwasher or disconnect power.
- Disassemble door and disconnect keypad connection JUST from control board.:)
- Verify all other connections to control board are made.
- Reassemble door, but do not close door.
- Plug in dishwasher or reconnect power.
- Wait at least 7 seconds for control board to power up completely.
- Close dishwasher door and monitor control board response:
A. If control board is OK, it will respond by turning on the drain motor for 2 minutes. Replace control panel keypad.
B. If control board is not OK, it will not turn on drain motor. Wait for at least 10 seconds. If there is still no drain response, then replace control board.

Here's the control panel keypad assembly for your model:

I posted the instructions to remove the outer door panel in this thread:

I'm attaching your tech. data sheet below.

Jake

Attachments

• Tech Sheet - W10867183 - Rev B.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 42

Helpmeplease23

Premium Member
According to your test the control board is bad as nothing happened. I installed a used board earlier with no change to performance so I guess I’ll wait for a new OEM back ordered board. Thanks for your help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, then you will need the OEM control board.

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.