• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Maytag Dishwasher MDB8989SHZ top rack rubbing trim

jrkmo1

Premium Member
Model Number
MDB8989SHZ
Brand
Maytag
Recently I noticed that the top rack of my dishwasher is rubbing against the rubber trim when closing. It's the grey plastic piece that allows you to raise/lower the rack height that is touching. If I open or close it carefully, by slightly pulling the rack to the right, then I can avoid the trim. If not, it either gets stuck or rubs against the trim noticeably enough where you feel it.

We recently had new cabinets and a countertop put in. The dishwasher stayed in place. Is it possible that the dishwasher just got attached to the new countertop a little crooked and that caused the alignment issue? The trim/seal looks good at this point. It's not bulging.

It's almost as if the rack itself or the rails may have been slightly warped. Nothing happened that I'm aware of and there's nothing obvious to me that stands out as crooked or anything like that.

Any ideas on how to fix this issue so the rack opens and closes without contact?

Last edited:
If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.