• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Maytag dishwasher model MDB8959SBS1 with a mind of its own

TryDIY

Premium Member
Model Number
MDB8959SBS1
Brand
Maytag
Hello everyone. Been having some strange issues with the dishwasher. When it has completed all cycle steps, you open the door, remove dishes, and then close door, the machine starts up again all on its own! It also may beep when the door is open. After researching here at Appliance Blog and elsewhere, I am suspecting it is probably the touch pad or possibly the control panel. However, since these parts are expensive. I would prefer to troubleshoot it together with one or more experts on here before I decide what to do. For now, I have unplugged it so it doesn't decide to run without permission hehe.

Can you help me get this thing up and running again? The lady of the house has now started withholding cooking me certain favorite dishes that I like, citing the extra cleanup involved combined with manual dishwashing as the reason. I can only wonder what else may be withheld if this isn't sorted soon!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I located another member with this exact same problem here:
Here's the part you need:
WPW10475780

Jake

TryDIY

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. I know my way around electronics at least a little bit. Maybe I can actually find the fault in this and fix it. If not, worst case is I just order a new one anyway. I'll post back when I have something new to report.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.

Jake

TryDIY

Premium Member
Okay I have an update! The Lady of the house decided she didn't want to wait for me to troubleshoot the electronics and instead we just ordered a replacement control panel. I installed it a couple days ago and it seems to have solved the issues. I wouldn't say the replacement was difficult for me, but I did have to fight a little bit putting the door back together. Without the weight of the outer door, the spring tension really wants to close the door. Our unit is slightly recessed so hooking the outer door on from a vertical or near vertical position isn't possible. I eventually snagged a piece of wood from the garage and used it to keep the door open a bit while I maneuvered the outer door back on. We've already run the dishwasher once or twice since and all is well so far. I think this can be considered solved. Thanks for the insight Jake.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Try, glad to hear the new control panel fixed it.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Yes, the outer door panel can be a bit tricky to get back on, especially if your unit is slightly recessed, good idea about using the wood.:)

Jake

diycdb

Premium Member
Did this model happen to have the plastic buttons on the right side of the top or the touch sensitive buttons along the length of the top? Just curious whether I have a similar odd problem with cycles.