Maytag Dishwasher Recall

paris

Premium Member
The current recall of Maytag/Jenn-Air DWs has me logging my first post. :( I did a cursory search & did not see a thread on this issue. [my apologies if there is one]

Just learned yesterday that our 6yo DW is included. Apparently there are a few million machines in this pool, so I'm wondering if others have been through the repair process that Maytag is offering ? (the other option is $75 rebate towards another Maytag, Whirlpool or Kitchen-Aid.)

Our machine has been problem-free since installation, but all our previous DWs were pre-owned so not sure what life expectancy is. As a result, I'm torn as to opting for the repair vs. rebate.

2 part question: has anyone been through the recall process yet, and what did you choose ? And, if I decide to buy new, is any one of the rebate-related brands an obvoius choice ? Thanks !

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You are the first one to post on this recall, I would keep this thread as a sticky on top of the forum here, so others can post what they think they will do as well and the best options for everyone.

Jake

paris

Premium Member
Hi---just to close off this thread, thought I would post an update. After browsing new DWs on line & reading losts of consumer reviews, I had to admit that I really like this machine and preferred not to give up on it after only 6 years.

I called the recall hotline, got right through, and was given a repair date about 10 days out. The work was done yesterday (Maytag had sent the part to us in the meantime). Took over an hour to install the new front panel liner. So far, so good.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good paris.:)

Jake

nbrsguy

Premium Member
Maytag Mess

We opted to have the repair performed on May 25 to our perfectly fine running Maytag dishwasher. During the final stage of the reconnection to the mother board a pin broke. The service repairman got on the line and ordered two parts for replacement before leaving us with a dead dishwasher.

Today makes 6 weeks we have been without the use of the appliance BECAUSE MAYTAG HAS BEEN OUT OF BOTH MAJOR PARTS THAT ARE MADE IN ASIA AND HAS NO IDEA WHEN THEY WILL BE AVAILABLE!

I am presently in search of other suffering consumers in hopes of developing a class action against Maytag.

Beware of any Maytag products.

deaddishwasher

Premium Member
good luck none of choices are good

There is no good choice I called my recall in on 5/12/2007 after 3 repair visits still not working I have call many times to maytag and have not even had a call back. going to whirlpool next

The current recall of Maytag/Jenn-Air DWs has me logging my first post. :( I did a cursory search & did not see a thread on this issue. [my apologies if there is one]

Just learned yesterday that our 6yo DW is included. Apparently there are a few million machines in this pool, so I'm wondering if others have been through the repair process that Maytag is offering ? (the other option is $75 rebate towards another Maytag, Whirlpool or Kitchen-Aid.)

Our machine has been problem-free since installation, but all our previous DWs were pre-owned so not sure what life expectancy is. As a result, I'm torn as to opting for the repair vs. rebate.

2 part question: has anyone been through the recall process yet, and what did you choose ? And, if I decide to buy new, is any one of the rebate-related brands an obvoius choice ? Thanks !

Sanshie

Maytag Recall Repairs May Further Damage Your Machine

Here's our tale of woe regarding this recall. We got our part fairly quickly after calling, took another few weeks for Maytag to give us the list of repair places to call. The one we chose came out next day. Then the fun started.

The installation of the new door panel broke the control panel on our machine. According to our repairman, this is happening in one out of three of the recall repairs. Maytag does not have any control boards, doesn't know when they will have control boards, doesn't know when they will know. Our repairman has had some on order for 5 weeks. Maytag CSRs will tell you that someone in "corporate" will call you in 48-72 hours, but I see from posts all over the web that that doesn't happen. We haven't hit the 72 hour mark yet, but I'm not holding my breath.

Maytag broke my perfectly good dishwasher and apparently has no plans to make it right. Think long and hard before pursuing this recall repair. Had we known, we would have opted for the remote chance of a fire versus this mess.

Midwife

Premium Member
Glad You Stickied This!

Morning! Came on here to look for a solution to another (unrelated to recall) problem with my Maytag and found this recall info. Had no idea about the recall and was never notified about it (of course). Sure glad it was on a sticky. Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad our sticky thread here helped you.:)

Jake

JRS

Premium Member
I opted for the repair instead of the rebate towards a new dishwasher since the dishwasher is only 2 years old, I have an extended warranty, and it is in good shape (I have a water softener). They came out and replaced the heating element - took about a half hour.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good JRS, thanks for the update about this other recall.:)

Jake