FIXED Maytag dishwasher won't drain and makes humming sound

thenline

Premium Member
Model Number
MDB7100AWQ
Brand
Maytag
Good morning, and thanks so much in advance for any help you may provide. I'm new to this forum and always feel guilty as a new member of any forum signing up to ask for help, but after 2 hours of searching online and this site, I couldn't find the same problem and decided to swallow my pride and ask for help. With that said, again, I thank you in advance for any help in diagnosing my problem.

We have a Maytag MDB7100AWQ dishwasher that's about 10 years old. It's been a wonderful product; we have no complaints with it in any way, and up till last night, have never had any issues with it. Unfortunately, last night, after starting a wash cycle, we encountered an issue. The washer filled with water, went through what I would call/assume to be called it's pre-wash, made a humming sound for a couple seconds, then did nothing. I tried to cancel the cycle/drain it, but when I would hit the drain button, it would only make a humming sound for a couple seconds and then do nothing further. The water in the bottom wouldn't drain out. I tried cycling power to it as well, but that didn't help.

After doing initial searching online, I verified that the drain tube wasn't plugged. I manually drained the water out from the bottom by removing the drain tube from the bottom of the unit and catching the water in a pan. There was no obstructions in the drain tube (I could easily blow/breath through the tube). So, I tried running another wash cycle. The same thing occurred; it would fill with water, run through it's first cycle, but when it came time to drain the initial fill, would make a humming sound for about 2 seonds and then do nothing. I manually drained it again out the bottom by removing the hose and am now here looking for help.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks again,
Tom

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Tom,

You may have something in the impellers or your motor is going bad.

Here's the instructions on how to remove the lower spray arm and access the parts below it: Maytag dishwasher motor and pump assembly

They make 2 different pump/motor assemblies for your model.

If your dishwasher serial# begins with 24 or lower you need this one:
6-915416 Motor Pump

If the serial# of your dishwasher starts with 25 or higher, you need this one:
6-917113 Motor/pump Housing Assembly

Jake

thenline

Premium Member
Thanks so very much for the response, Jake, I really do appreciate it. I took everything apart down to the black recirculating impeller/lower pump cover (I pulled the screw/o-ring out of the impeller, but the impeller itself didn't lift off and I didn't want to brake it trying to force it off). I didn't see anything for foreign material inside what I accessed thus far. Is the recirculating impeller driven directly by the motor? If so, it spins freely.

Thanks again for your continued time and help,
Tom

thenline

Premium Member
On a quick sidenote, Jake, incase my motor is indeed bad, the number on mine is 6 915236. Did the 6-915416 pump you mentioned above (for my dishwasher with serial number 15074194YY) update/replace mine?

thenline

Premium Member
Thanks for the confirmation. I was able to pry the impeller off and to get a good look at the pump housing/food cutting blade. There was nothing in there that wasn't supposed to be, so, I'll have to bite the bullet and either replace the motor assembly or the DW. It kills me to do either considering we're going to be moving in a few months, but I guess that's the price you pay for being a home-owner.

Thank you again so much for your help,
Tom

thenline

Premium Member
Jake, one more thing (sorry) that I just thought of. If that motor is bad, what is running the dishwasher up to the point where it simply won't drain? It goes through that first cycle and you can hear it running and see that the dishes actually get "cleaned." Please don't misunderstand this question as second-guessing you, I'm just trying to understand the functionality of the unit, and what makes it work.

Thanks,
Tom

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
On your model the motor turns one way to wash, then reverses and turns the other way to drain, that reverse circuit in the motor is shot, seen this many times.:)

Jake

thenline

Premium Member
Aha! That makes perfect sense! Thanks for not interpretting that last question the wrong way.

Now I just want to figure out what the difference(s) is between my stock 6-915236 motor and the 6-915416 motor.

Thanks again,
Tom

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The motor part number just changed Tom, Happens all the time. I'd suggest just replacing your dishwasher with the age of it.

Average life of dishwashers now is only 8-12 years, the days of 20-30 years are long gone unfortunately.

Jake

thenline

Premium Member
Turns out, after replacing the complete motor/pump assembly - and having the same results as with my original motor (i.e. it not draining) - there was nothing wrong with the motor at all. Instead, after finding out that I was experiencing the same problem, I dug into the wiring and found that one of the four wires that goes into the pump connector was broken. The wiring harness goes through the door and exits out the bottom where it's held in place on the DW frame by a black plastic cover. Right above that black cover (and immediately below the door itself) is where the red wire was broken off. So, I spliced the wire back together, started a cycle, and voila, I've got clean dishes.

So, if anyone is in need of a fully functioning 6-915236 (model S62NXKDM-7648) motor with complete pump assembly, please let me know.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ahhh, good find, thats extremely rare to ever see that happen or I would of told you to check that first, sorry about that.

You have 365 days to return any part installed or not for a full refund, less shipping.

Jake

thenline

Premium Member
No worries, I was just mad at myself for not being more thorough in my inspection/troubleshooting before ordering a replacement. I thought about doing a search online for a wiring diagram and checking voltage at that connector, but I didn't. Nobody to blame but myself.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Well, I feel partly to blame at least.

If you didn't buy the motor/pump assembly through our link, you can always sell it on ebay or amazon, or our market place here: Buy, Sell or Trade

Jake

thenline

Premium Member
Don't worry about it, Jake; I don't blame you at all. You offered your opinion and I appreciate that. I'll just hold onto the original one that came out of the unit until we move. If something in the washer fails and I need parts off of it, then I'll have them. The assembly I purchased came complete with the pump housing/assembly, sensors/elecronics, etc., so it was an easy plug-and-play. I didn't have to replace/swap parts; all I had to buy for it was a new tub gasket as I didn't want to gamble with re-using the original. So, if someone stumbles onto this thread via a google search, etc., and needs a working drop-in assembly, I'll sell it. If not, I'll hold onto it for parts until we move.

Thanks,
Tom

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Tom, sounds good.

Jake

seiberbb

I know this is a really old thread, but I felt the need to sign up for an account just to say thanks! I have a Maytag dishwasher, it had the same symptoms, and I was about to buy a brand new dishwasher when I found this thread. I tried everything that other sites/threads/youtube vids were suggesting already. I looked under the wiring panel underneath the door and found the red wire. It was cut just like yours! Must be some manufacturing or design defect in which the door can pinch and cut the wires. The blue wire looks like it has also been pinched in the door. Anyway, I stripped the red wire and reattached it. The dishwasher drained right out! Saved me $500+ dollars. Thanks Tom for posting your ultimate solution. Often people don't bother to do that, but I wanted you to know (if you happen to ever look here again) that it helped me!.

Thanks.
Brent

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good Brent, Tom will be happy to hear that you found the same red wire broken and fixed it!

Jake

Stevef09

Well this is a really old thread, but I felt the need to reply as well it was a miracle stumbling on this forum. I'm an HVAC tech (thus like fixing over replacement) I have this dishwasher, and even though it's now 17 years old, it's been super reliable, Only a few minor repairs required. I was getting the same hum upon the drain cycle starting and from my experience with motors new the motor wasn't starting, even though it was running in the wash cycle. I was about to order a new motor but my wife wanted me to check it out first. So I took some resistances and checked for shorts, everything was checking out. I made sure the line was clear. And spent a couple hours looking at videos online to no avail. I finally got this forum when low and behold I got the same broken red wire at the door point as Tom and Brent. Thanks guys for posting your findings, saved me a ton of money on repair/replacement.