• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Maytag Dryer HYE2460AYW Burning Smell

Chris1301

Premium Member
Model Number
HYE2460AYW
Brand
Maytag
Hello,
Our dryer was making some loud screeching noises and was giving off a burning smell - the smell was most noticeable inside the tumbler/cylinder when we opened the door to the unit. The rear drum rollers turn fine, and the roller on the idler pulley turns fine. The felt on the rear of the unit is old, but seems functional. When we had the tumbler/cylinder and the idler pulley out, we noticed that there was a slight squeaking/screeching sound when we turned the blower in one direction - no noise when it turned in the other direction.

We vacuumed out the blower area (along with the rest of the dryer) and sprayed some WD40 onto the blower axle - towards the motor, so I presume some WD40 got into the motor. After spraying the WD40 on the blower axle, there is no more noise when we turn the blower. We got the unit all back together, turned on the dryer, and immediately got a STRONG burning smell when we opened the door.

We are wondering if we need a new motor or if maybe the fix is less expensive. From what we can tell, the unit functions fine, we just want to fix the noise and the burning smell. I.e., we don't want our dryer to spontaneously combust or break beyond repair. Thanks very much.
Chris

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Make sure there's nothing caught behind the blower wheel. Also check if anything is wrapped around the motor shaft on the backside of the blower housing. Can you turn the motor pulley by hand easily?

Chris1301

Premium Member
I took off the blower wheel and didn't find anything behind it. There was some rust-colored material at the center of the blower wheel and on the shaft that the blower wheel sits on. I scraped that off. I checked the motor shaft on the back side of the blower housing and didn't see anything wrapped around it. I can turn the motor pulley very easily by hand. Initially (a day or so ago), when I turned the motor pulley by hand, I got a somewhat high-pitched scraping sound. After we sprayed WD-40 onto the shaft that the blower wheel sits on (and in toward the motor), we got no more high-pitched scraping sound when turning the motor pulley by hand. It does still make a mild scraping noise - just a very slight grating, not jagged/rough, but definitely a noise. I did forget to mention, several years ago, we had a flood and we had water inside the tumbler/cylinder. We noticed it right away and poured out the water and never had any trouble with the operation of the dryer. Yesterday, when I saw the rust-colored material on the center of the blower wheel and the shaft it sits on, it reminded me of that water event. Thanks for you help.

Chris1301

Premium Member
Just one more thing... the slight scraping noise when I turn the blower or motor pulley by hand is so mild that I initially dismissed it and mentioned in my first post that there was no noise when turning the blower by hand. But, after thinking about it more, I think it is something, i.e., that maybe there should be no noise at all when the blower or motor pulley is turned by hand. Thanks.

rickgburton

Staff member
Sounds like the motor bearing is worn when I add the burning smell. It makes a noise without the belt tension so it will probably get worse. When you press start, does the motor make a loud humm when it starts?
whirlpool-motor-drve-w10410996-ap5272116_01_l.jpg

Chris1301

Premium Member
The motor does not make a loud hum when I press start. When the dryer is running, it sounds a little different/louder every second or two (or so) instead of being one consistent sound/volume. I'm not sure if that rhythmic change in sound/volume is normal. It's fairly slight, but noticeable.

The other day, it ran for a while (after I fixed one of the glider pads), then it started making the screeching noises, and when we opened the dryer we smelled the bad smell. It made the clothes that were in the dryer smell very bad. The smell has a slight chemical odor.

Since the other day, we haven't let it run long enough to know if it would start making the screeching noises again. But, it only needs to run for a minute or less for us to smell the bad smell when we open it.

I have removed and replaced the tumbler/cylinder so many times that the felt circular pad on the rear of the unit is now slightly damaged near both of the rollers, so I think the felt will need to be replaced. Could the felt be causing a problem that would result in a terrible smell? Or, do you still think we probably need a new motor? Thanks.

rickgburton

Staff member
The motor does not make a loud hum when I press start. ...... do you still think we probably need a new motor?
Yes, I do. The bad smell is the plastic coating on the motor windings cooking when the motor heats up.

Chris1301

Premium Member
OK, that makes sense to me. We will get the new motor. I'm also planning to get the felt for the back of the machine and new glider pads. Hopefully, these replacements will give us several more years with this dryer. Do you recommend any other parts replacement at this time? Anything else it might be good to check? Thanks.

rickgburton

Staff member
General maintenance is to inspect everything closely, rollers, glides, belt, rollers and seals. Anything that looks worn, replace. Don't use any lubricants in the dryer or you'll end up with bigger problems. Clean roller shafts with steel wool. The belt will have a bunch of cracks in it. This is normal as long as there's no pieces missing. Check the idler pulley for any grooves worn into it by the belt