• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Maytag Dryer MED6230HW0 not starting but tests perfect?!?

Rollaznv

Premium Member
Model Number
MED6230HW0
Brand
Maytag
Dryer will run perfect in service mode, won't start with user start button

So I bought this dryer used because it was borked, figured I could "wrench" it, but it's got me stumped, it's quite new.

I tore it down and tested EVERYTHING, and each part checked out... so I reassembled it, and ran the service diagnostics, and it ran fine, heated, cooled, sensors work right, all buttons tested in the HMI test and all of them work for the "3 sec" to get out of the test... ESPECIALLY tested the start button on that one... BUT...

If you press and hold the start button for the 3 sec countdown start timer, it shows 3secs, and beeps, then jumps to 2 then 1 with a quick double beep, then clears the screen, with the last beep and acts like nothing happened... I'm GUESSING that the control input interface board is bad, but don't want to drop money on something like that as a guess. But again, every component meters out perfect and it DOES work flawlessly in the Service Diagnostics test and the error codes are empty... it's basically the start button not finishing it's countdown and actually telling the machine to start...

Any way to confirm it's that interface panel, and not the main board? Or is there a way to remove the 3 sec countdown and have it just START? or is there a way to jumper that signal and just make the machine run outside of the input panel?

Any help would be great, thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I located a service bulletin on this issue. So you don't know if a tech replaced the HMI or ACU or BOTH before you bought it used?

Possible Concern: If both the Human Machine Interface (HMI) and Appliance Control Unit (ACU) boards are replaced at same time, the machine may not operate.
Potential Causes: The model, settings information, and serial number are stored in both the HMI and ACU boards and published to each other if one is replaced. However, if both controls are replaced at the same time this information will be lost and the unit may not operate.

Correction: If replacing both controls, it is strongly recommended to:
1. First replace the Human Machine Interface (HMI).
2. Power up the unit and wait 3 minutes. This will allow the model, settings information, and serial number to be published to the other control board.
3. Remove power from the unit.
4. Replace the Appliance Control Unit (ACU).
5. Power up unit. If both controls were previously replaced at the same time and the machine is now inoperable please see the below steps for a solution:
OPTION 1: All Models ● If one of the original controls is present, replace the new part with an original part and repower the machine. Note: If both original parts are available, it is highly recommended to replace the HMI with the original part first. ● This will write the model, settings information, and serial number to the other control. ● Reinstall new control.
OPTION 2: Only for 5100-series Whirlpool or 6000-series Maytag Models ● The technician may plug/unplug power to the machine or flip breaker 5X and the machine will default to these particular models, features, and settings.

Try OPTION 2 first.

Jake

Rollaznv

Premium Member
That could have been amazing, but it didn't work, but thanks for the reply Jake...

I tried rapidly plugging and unplugging 5x's and when that didn't work, I plugged and waited 20 secs for the power failure notice to appear, 5x's and neither worked...

I don't have the original boards if they were replaced as it was purchased broken... any other ideas? I've ordered a used console with the HMI on it to try to swap that and see but I think I'm throwing money away now... if that doesn't work I'll try putting up a used main board next but after that, I think it's gonna be a parts machine... that would suck, it's REALLY unused.

Rollaznv

Premium Member
If anyone has one of these machines, I'd love to see a video of how the machine starts up normally using the 3 sec countdown with audio,

EDIT: ok I found a youtube vid showing a washer starting... my dryer makes the same "stumble" counting down, I was thinking it was the error I was looking for, but it seems to be the way they set it up...

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I don't know what else to suggest, sorry.

Jake

Rollaznv

Premium Member
I should try using the breaker, is there any suggestion to timing on the 5x power flip in the bulletin?