• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Maytag Dryer MEDB835DW4 Spins too fast / Doesn't tumble right

JohnnyGFX

Premium Member
Model Number
MEDB835DW4
Brand
Maytag
From day one this dryer has been spinning too fast, causing the clothes to clump up and ride the drum rather than tumble. I took a 10 second video and counted the revolutions and it is spinning at roughly 60 RPM. I have read that 40 RPM is more the ideal tumbling speed, meaning our drying is spinning 150% faster than it should.

There is nothing wrong with the pully or idler pully from what I can see. Both seem in perfect shape still. The pully itself is quite small already too, so I can't just put on a smaller pully to correct for the spin speed of the motor. I tried calling and emailing with Whirlpool/Maytag but they have been useless. Any suggestions about how to fix this?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Another member was having this exact same problem, here's his thread:
You may want to ask him what he did to fix it. I have never heard or seen this happening before myself on any of my service calls.

If you post a reply in his thread, he will get a email and hopefully he will come back to tell us what fixed his.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Possibly the motor pulley, your model uses the exact same one:

Look at this thread here:
3 members said the new motor pulley fixed theirs.

Jake

JohnnyGFX

Premium Member
I had found that thread previously before posting here, took the back off, removed the belt from the motor pulley and couldn't find anything wrong with the motor pulley at all. I was originally hoping that I could get a different (smaller) motor pulley and slow it down a bit, but the threaded part where the belt sits is only slightly bigger than the motor shaft itself.