• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Maytag Dryer MEDC200XW1 - Is my timer bad?

Carson L

Premium Member
Model Number
MEDC200XW1
Brand
Maytag
We typically use the timed (high heat) option, but a load typically takes about 2 (60 minute) cycles to dry. It seems that once the dryer is engaged/started, the drum gets hot for about 20 minutes and the last 20 minutes clothes tumble with no heat. I've checked the air flow, cleaned the vent, replaced all the temp censors.

It's obvious the heating element is working, drum is rolling, blower is functioning appropriately. If all the censors have been replaced, what could be the issue?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
I've checked the air flow, cleaned the vent

You've checked the vent all the way to the outdoors?

If it's heating but just not drying, the venting is the prime suspect. I would suggest you try doing a load with the vent totally removed to absolutely rule out a venting problem.

LINK > Dryer Vent Information

If all the thermostats have been replaced as you say and the vent is *absolutely* not the cause, the element might have a break that makes intermittent contact. It is rare you'd ever get full heat for long in such a case which would usually result in too cool of temperature. It might also be an intermittent contact in the timer for the heater circuit but I suggest you try the vent test before looking elsewhere.

Dan O.

Carson L

Premium Member
Thank you for the insight. The vent piping is less than a year old when we added our laundry/mud room in the basement garage. Just ran a load and the heating element seemed to cycle appropriately. A steady stream of air is exiting the house. Do you think venting is the cause of the irregular cycles?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
If the venting was the problem the dryer heat should malfunction consistently. If it is working properly now without altering the venting, the vent is not the cause.

Dan O.

Carson L

Premium Member
Do you think it's worth checking the circuitry? Is there a way I can check with the dryer umplugged?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Carson L said:
Just ran a load and the heating element seemed to cycle appropriately... Do you think it's worth checking the circuitry?

The problem needs to actually be occurring to trace the problem. If the problem isn't currently occurring, it is unlikely to be found.

Carson L said:
Is there a way I can check with the dryer umplugged?

The appliance would usually need to be plugged in and malfunctioning at that time to track the problem down.

Dan O.