• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Maytag Dryer MEDX655DW1 drum not turning, but the dryer is heating

imref

Premium Member
Model Number
MEDX655DW1
Brand
Maytag
Hi, I have about a five-year old Maytag MEDX655DW1 electric dryer. When I turn it on the drum is not turning, but the dryer is heating. Door switch seems to be functioning properly.

I'm assuming it's the thermal fuse as I don't hear anything when starting a cycle so I'm assuming it's not a broken belt. I will check the exhaust hose for a clog and clean it out.

Is there anything else I should look out for? I saw some discussions about also replacing the thermostat at the same time, is that necessary?

Thank you!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Do you mean when you turn the dryer ON, its heating but the motor that turns the drum is not running at all?

You likely have a grounded element, and that will cause this problem you are having.

UNPLUG THE DRYER FIRST, then check to see if your heating element is grounded.

Here's the heating element for your model you can order, if yours is grounded:
279838 Heating Element

To check for a grounded element, unplug the dryer and remove the wires to the element, then use a multimeter and ohm test each element terminal to ground(the METAL heater housing would be ground), if your meter shows continuity then its grounded. You can also remove the heating element and look at the coils to see if any are touching the METAL heater housing.

There is a HOW TO video in the heating element part link that shows you how to remove it.

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Also, the grounded heating element can cause the thermal fuse to go out.

Again, You will need a multimeter to ohm your thermal fuse. Its on your blower wheel housing in the back of your dryer. Unplug your dryer first before ohm testing it.

Here's the thermal fuse for your model you can order here, if yours is bad:
Thermal Fuse WP3392519

This video shows how to test it:

Here is a photo of the back of your dryer without the back access panel on:
wpdry8.JPG

#5 is your white thermal fuse.

Jake

imref

Premium Member
Do you mean when you turn the dryer ON, its heating but the motor that turns the drum is not running at all?

Exactly. The dryer makes no noise, but if I manually press in the door switch I can see the element heating. I will check the fuse and element and replace them. I appreciate your assistance.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok sounds good, let us know how it goes.

Jake

imref

Premium Member
@Jake - just wanted to let you know that I replaced the thermal fuse and heating element and the dryer is working perfectly. Not having a multimeter, and being short on time, I went ahead and ordered the parts from you and just replaced them. I also inspected and vacuumed out the duct but it looked clear.

Thanks for your help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent @imref glad to hear the new heating element and thermal fuse fixed it.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake