• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Maytag Dryer MGDB835DW4 runs but heating sporadically

johnzz

Premium Member
Model Number
MGDB835DW4
Brand
Maytag
My Maytag dryer no longer heats properly after a year of use. It turns on and things like sensing and timer work. However, very rarely when I turn it on it will heat and dry normally. Most of the time it will not heat at all and the smell of gas from the vent is very strong. The igniter will only glow for maybe 5-10 seconds when this happens. It feels like there is gas coming into the dryer but it is not burning.

I have replaced the flame sensor, solenoid coils, and igniter, but the issue still remains. I also tested the resistance of the three with a multimeter and nothing seems wrong. I ran the service diagnostic test but no error codes showed up. Not sure where to go from here, would appreciate any suggestions.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
The igniter will only glow for maybe 5-10 seconds
That's correct, normal.
I have replaced the flame sensor, solenoid coils, and igniter,
The problem is the spit coils. Try reinstalling them. Don't over tighten the screws. It's rare to have a bad valve assembly but it does happen. Here's how the gas valve works:

L-split coil C.jpg
L-split coil D.jpg

johnzz

Premium Member
Thanks rickgburton for the response!

I will reinstall it over the weekend to see if that will fix the issue. I can imagine that if there is not enough gas coming out, the ignitor might not have a chance to light the gas before it cools down. Can you explain why over tighten can cause an issue?

A little more info about the problem: it seems it will work when the dryer is cold, but fails when it is warm (not hot, just warm) - I tried after I replaced the 3 parts, and it worked. After running for about 5-10mins, I stopped and restarted the dryer (want to try a few more times to make sure it works), and it failed (strong gas smell and no heat). Tried a few more times, same problem. Then after a few hours, I tried it again, it worked. Since then, I have not tried it yet.

rickgburton

Staff member
Sounds like you should replace the split coils. How long ago did you replace them?

johnzz

Premium Member
just measured the ones I have removed from the dryer - they match the above numbers very well. The ones I installed had similar readings.

johnzz

Premium Member
I didn’t know this when I replaced the coils, did not even pay attention to check the sleeve - just swapped the coils. I am going to reinstall the coils over the weekend. What should I do with the sleeve? Just make sure it is there?

rickgburton

Staff member
A lot of times the sleeve sticks inside the old coil and gets thrown away. It's not sold as a separate part.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Rick is absolutely right!

You'd need to order the complete gas valve assembly to get new sleeves.

Here's the complete gas valve assembly for your model: W11233069 Burner-Gas

Jake