• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Maytag dryer MGDC215EW1 flame stays lit for 22 seconds w/ vent hose, burns endlessly without vent

troygriggsby

Premium Member
Model Number
MGDC215EW
Brand
Maytag
The dryer ignites and a flame comes on for about 22 seconds and goes out. Then after 3.5 minutes it happens again. 22 seconds on, 3.5 minutes off. So I spent $25 on a thermal fuse, cycling thermostat, and cut-off kit -- 4 parts that I could easily replace on the back of the unit.

The problem continued so a dryer tech came out and said the "only" other things it could be would be a blocked vent (clog) or faulty gas coils. (The dryer is located on the second floor and vents up through the attic and onto the roof with a roof jack.)

I cleaned out the foil accordion hose from the dryer to the wall, and then used a shop-vac and long brush to clean out the vertical vent pipe as far as I could reach. I definitely pulled out some clumps of lint. The tech suggested I disconnect the vent hose and do a couple of loads. The dryer got really hot as the flame stayed on the whole time without any venting -- although I was blowing lint and moisture in the laundry room. I dried 4 loads like this.

I connected the hoses and the problem was back. So I called out a guy to clean the vent and he went into the attic, took apart the pipe where there was a 45-elbow and there was a clog. From the clog there's only about 2 feet until it hits the roof.

He says he snaked the vent pipe down as well and cleaned out a lot of lint. The problem continues. If the flame stays on continuously without a vent, but suddenly goes out after 20 seconds, wouldn't that mean there continues to be an air flow issue in the pipe, hence, likely a clog, and that I can rule out burner assembly parts? I don't have any electrical tools to test continuity, etc. Please help!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, you still have a vent restriction up to the roof.

Has anyone been on the roof to check the vent exit there?

troygriggsby

Premium Member
No, no one has been on the roof yet. If it vents through the roof, can the blockage be accessed via the attic, or does the roof jack have to be snaked from the outside. It looks like the roof jack is one piece with 4 vent areas. I don't know if the cap come off. I'll try to attach a picture of the type of vent.

Attachments

• roofjack.png
    roofjack.png
    552.8 KB · Views: 4

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

troygriggsby

Premium Member
Finally! Yep, definitely a clog at the roof line. The 4" galvanized vent pipe was mated with probably a 6" roof vent. So when lint tries to travel from the dryer on 2nd floor through the attic, etc. it fights gravity and just "dies" at the junction, causing a blockage. What a pain. We've never been so pleased to do laundry.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, good job clearing it out.(y)

Thanks for the update!

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.