Maytag dryer no heat / smell gas when running

Minion

Premium Member
imported post

model # LDG9316AAM

Just picked up a dryer from a friend who hadn't used it in a over a year because it was replaced for taking too long to dry. Hooked it up at my place with new hardware, and everything seems to be running fine but before I could check for heat I started smelling gas. What should I investigate first on this? Ignitor? Gas valve? New to appliance repair, but plenty of electrical tech/trouble shooting experiance.

Thanks

Mark

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
imported post

Hi,

Is the gas smell always present even when the dryer has been off overnight?

If so, its possible the gas leak is at the connection fitting that you hooked up your gas lineto the back of the dryer, make sure you used pipe thread compound, paste, stick, or teflon tapethat connects to the regulator.

Make sure the flared compression fitting is tight as well.

Here is another link that is very detailed.

Link>[url]http://www.applianceaid.com/gasconnector.html[/url]

Jake

Minion

Premium Member
imported post

Jake,

Gas smell is only while the dryer is operating (only for a short time as well) If you leave it sit overnight there is no smell. All the external connections are good.

Mark

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
imported post

You may smell a little gas when you first start the dryer, due to some gas not igniting before it reaches the ignitor, if you continue to smell gas thoughout the drying cycle, possibly you may have a weak ignitor.

Jake