Maytag FAV6800AWW won't spin

maytagfoul

Premium Member
Model Number
FAV6800AWW
Brand
Maytag
Bought this model washer in March of 2005 now it won't spin.Had a repair guy come and put a pump on it because he said it was bad.But it still won't spin and comes up with a the error code for load balance.Tried shifting load but still won't.I see that it seems that is a big problem with this high dollar Maytag anybody had there's fixed yet...:(

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

I have never worked on this model, hopefully another tech. or member that has can assist you.

Jake

maytagfoul

Premium Member
Found out last night that my cousin knows a repair guy.Called the repair to ask his thoughts and he says.It is a piece of junk that is why Maytag stopped making it.And that they have nothing but problems with them and it is hard to figure out what is wrong.He did say he thought it might be the control panel.So I guess I will start there.

gmannine

Appliance Tech
Most of the time it is the out of balance sensor. pry the top up and remove the front panel. Sensor is on the left, It is black and looks kinda like a shock, attaches to the tub and to the left side of the cabinet.

Greg

maytagfoul

Premium Member
Ok talked to the repair man and told him I thought it was the control board he said can't be and that he was going to put the shocks on.He comes and does that still not working now says transmission is the problem.So what he is telling me he doesn't have a clue either.

gmannine

Appliance Tech
very common problem you are having. Everyone that i have worked on with this problem it turns out to be the out of balance sensor or the clutch.

hach51

Similar problem with our FAV6800. Seems intermittent and almost load size dependent. Smaller the load, the more likely it is to get the out of balance condition. I actually got around the situation once by stuffing the thing full. We inherited this thing with the house we bought a year ago. (and of course the home warranty just ran out). How hard is it to replace the sensor or clutch?

bhig50

Premium Member
Issue w/ spin cycle on FAV6800AWW

I have the same spin cycle issue with my FAV6800AWW as noted by others here. Appears to be load dependent. I usually wash large loads and have never had the problem with my loads. My wife tends to wash smaller loads and has had the problem a number of times lately. I have tried shifting the load and sometimes it works; sometimes not. Usually there's more water in the tub than I would expect for the machine trying to start a spin cycle. I have tried shutting off completely and going directly to spin cycle with no luck. Shutting off and going through a complete wash cycle has worked sometimes. Our machine is a little over 5 years old. We have had no other problems with the machine.