Maytag FAV9800AWW Review: Softener dispenser

crowleysridgegirl

Premium Member
I have had a repair on this washer already (due to the hard water on our rural water system.) Now the softener dispenser will not dispense the fabric softener.I have tried taking a small coffeepot brush and cleaning the two holes under the removable lid,without success.

crowleysridgegirl

Premium Member
I had to call the repairman out,the inlet screens were fine,no problem with any water coming in to the washer.It is a bad solenoid.Going to cost $230 to repair.I'm not repairing this washer a third time! this will be it!

crowleysridgegirl

Premium Member
It has had one water inlet valve replacement already. That was not just recent, but, it has not been too long ago, certainly not for the expected life of this machine and the mild use that it has had with only a 2 person household.

I paid the repairman $243 to replace a bad solenoid. It worked fine a couple of times. Today when I opened the washer lid, there it was, softener dispenser sitting there FULL. It will not empty out.

I checked my repair bills, and, including a water inlet valve replacement and the solenoid replacement, I have paid in nearly $400 of repair on this piece of junk. This washer was purchased at a deal, new, of $719. You can see that I have paid in, already, half of the value of it in repairs since it was purchased new in 2006. I will not be paying for another one, however. I will be getting a new washer and it will NOT be another Maytag, I am done.

crowleysridgegirl

Premium Member
I called the repair shop,who I have dealt with for years.They sent the serviceman out that I have used for years in the past this time.He ran the washer through all of its' paces,automatic and manually.ALL 4 TIMES the darned water came into the right side of the dispenser on the lid (the softener side) and,on the left (the bleach side) as it is supposed to.It emptied out as it is supposed to,also!!! Maddening,as I am sure that the load I have washing now,since he has left,will have the softener still sitting there when the cycle completes! the thing is playing tricks on me!! LOL
They told me that on the average,new washers are having a life of around 2-3 years.That is what they are seeing.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
They told me that on the average,new washers are having a life of around 2-3 years.That is what they are seeing.
That's not really true, that particular model has had extensive issues since day 1. when Maytag was at the verge of bankruptcy before Whirlpool bought them out.

Maytag was a solid TOP OF THE LINE company till they started making the problematic Neptune design in 1997. Then it was down hill from there.

I own a Kenmore HE3 washer made by Whirlpool and couldn't be happier!!! Its going on 4 years old and not a single problem.:)

Jake

crowleysridgegirl

Premium Member
Jake,I think you misunderstood my story of the conversation between my repair business owner and myself.He was not talking about my washer,which was purchased new in 2006.And I have a top load,which I understand has had less problems than the front loads did.He was speaking of new washing machines that are out on the market for purchase NOW.and not to diss your Kenmore (aka Whirlpool)washer,but,4 years in the life of a washer is really not that long to speak of,in my opinion,compared to my first Maytag that lasted from 1976 until just a year or so after I purchased the Neptune.Those days are over.they are trying to compete with China and are losing their shirts.(PS: My Neptune did not have a repair until I had owned it approximately 5 years and that was due to hard water in our area.)

Last edited:

dh1200s

​crowleysridgegirl said; They told me that on the average,new washers are having a life of around 2-3 years.That is what they are seeing.

Wow that is discouraging what machines Mfg./models are they referencing?

Is your hard water issue resolved? I made the assumption it was.

Maybe its time to invest in some hand tools and come up to speed on a DIY fix for your machine issues. Maybe a family member or a friend could help out. I would try to help from the keyboard and in some cases I have had folks call my cell when the keyboard fails me or the family is in full revolt with the dirty laundry piling up.

A DIY forum like this site is the perfect place to roll up the sleeves and stop the service call $$$bleeding$$$ :mad: then your are in control :D

Your machine is not down hard you describe an intermittent issue so I see no panic and you can always throw a softener sheet in the dryer.

Here is a link I had Jake take a look at on a different forum Maytag Washer not using Fabric Softener - Appliance Repair Forum

Both owners had issues with the dispensers one was bleach the other was softener like yours.

Dick

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Jake,I think you misunderstood my story of the conversation between my repair business owner and myself.He was not talking about my washer,which was purchased new in 2006.And I have a top load,which I understand has had less problems than the front loads did.He was speaking of new washing machines that are out on the market for purchase NOW.
I highly disagree, the new top-loaders today are much better, I'll give you an example.

Whirlpool/Kenmore

The Calypso was the first generation of the top-loader energy star appliances based on the energy star front-loaders that started to appear on the scene in the late 1990's.

Unfortunately, the Calypso's had a lot of issues and recalls that doomed them from the start, just like the first generation Maytag Neptune's.

The Oasis is a much better and improved version that's had very little problems.

So if your in the market to buy a new top-load energy star rated washer then the Oasis is the way to go.

Our sites google search shows 367 Calypso washer problems: Calypso - Google Search=

and not to diss your Kenmore (aka Whirlpool)washer,but,4 years in the life of a washer is really not that long to speak of,in my opinion,compared to my first Maytag that lasted from 1976 until just a year or so after I purchased the Neptune
I wasn't going by the Maytag models of the 1970's which were the best of the best, I'm going by how many repairs that Kenmore/Whirlpool has had on the HE front loaders within the first 4 years. Again its very simple do a google search on our site and it will list hundreds as well.

And I wasn't talking about the front load Neptune's per say, just the top load Neptune model FAV6800AWW <-click it and you will see. 55 threads just on that model.

Jake

dh1200s

Jake, I know you were speaking to the FAV6800A/FAV9800A TL’s I modified my post above yours from the post in hard quotes"" below which I pounded out in MS Word and did not send. I’m going to paste it in below. I was trying to gently nudge crowleysridgegirl over to her tool box this is a DIY forum.

So crowleysridgegirl here is my post from the hard drive that was not sent. I recommend you use this DIY forum to extend the service life of your FAV9800A or as I mention below or cut you loss and move on to another machine.

Run all this by your Service Company and have them challenge me on the service issues of the FAV6800A/FAV9800A machines I list in my original unsent response below. Have them key into my comments about Outer Tub bearing replacement........I would love to have that discussion with a Service Manger/Technician that will give me a feel for their knowledge base on the FAV6800A/FAV9800A machines.

“”Hello crowleysridgegirl,

You have corrected your hard water quality issue? I'm in the country on site everything and my water is very acid 5.0. I run a acid neutralizer tank then correct hardness with a softener self installed DIY for the experience.

All I know about the Maytag front loaders issues from that time frame are from past post I have found such as this Maytag - the Neptune Phenomenon

I believe Jake is speaking to the FAV6800A/FAV9800A machines yours and mine.

I experienced unbalance errors early in the service life of my FAV6800A series 16 machine I believe it left the assembly line sometime in 2004 I have to check the s/n for the date code but I'm close. I was 18 months into service when my unbalance errors started.

Unbalance errors plagued this machine model/series form the get go. I’m amazed you have not experienced DC/UC unbalance errors through the service life of your FAV9800A even with the light use you describe. I describe the failure and the fix in the FAV6800A Sticky.

I feel the major design issues with this FAV6800A and FAV9800A TL’s .....my opinion..... is the Maytag design failure of the Tub Seal/Tranny O-ring system to keep wash water from entering the drive system and outer tub bearings. From what I see around 4 to 5 years depending on usage and you are in big trouble.

Do you have any desire to DIY repair on your FAV9800A machine going forward? If not I would cut your loss and run………..or you can extend the machine service life as some DIY folks choose after making the journey to a DIY forum such as this.

My DIY approach/mind set on this machine is to turn lemons into lemonade.

The Clutch Pulley One-Way bearing and Left Hand lid lock and Tub Seal failure seem to top the list of failures that I have seen over the years for the FAV6800A and FAV9800A machines.

What I have seen is after 4/5 years of use (it’s hard for me to get machine cycle counts in service mode from most owners) wash water leaks into drive system and that degrades the Clutch Pulley One-Way bearings the Upper One-Way bearing ring if used and Outer Tub bearings.

Owners often report multiple Clutch Pulley replacements do to wash water drive system leaks. The fix is an Outer Tub rebuild.....your local service tech will respond in one of two ways; You have to replace the complete Outer Tub....false. The cost will be $850 to $1000 to replace....true......unless you DIY the fix for around $60 to $150 depending on the series of your machine and no Clutch Pulley replacement is necessary.

You could experience other failures such as TDS, Pressure Switch, Motor Control Board, Console Control Board/key pad , drain pump jams and most recently the dispenser issues I have come across can pop up over the service life of the machine. The Drive Motor and Tranny seem to be a bullet proof design I believe that is why they have a 10 year machine warranty.

For the DIY owner with some basic skill sets, giving some guidance and has a desire to (DIY) self-repair will save the cost of service calls. For most DIY owners this yields positive results.

If the owner decides not to DIY the repair………..as you stated multiple services calls = $$$ over the service life the machine and they do add up.

I have helped DIY owners through very cost effective complete Outer Tub rebuilds including Outer Tub bearings, Spinner Support bearings, Tub Seal and Tranny O-Ring replacement.

All owners had the same mind set as I……..can I do a cost effective repair to extend the service life of the machine. There have been some owners that start an extensive repair/rebuild such as this but after tear down pull the plug and cut their loss. Every owner has to evaluate; downtime that can be tolerated and confidence to complete the repair.

Good Luck with the intermittent softener reservoir failing to flush out the contents. If the issue returns visit the link I pointed Jake to early in this thread and have your service repair person review and see if it sheds any light on the issue............better yet stop the service calls and find someone in the family that owns a few hand tools and point them toward this post.......If I can't help or I feel the person at the other end of the screwdriver is not qualified I will raise the flag……..Dick “”

crowleysridgegirl

Premium Member
PS,to dh1200s,our water is very alkaline,it is community rural water,and,we don't have a water softener,we can't afford one,Not even a DIY if we could DIY.Thanks for your suggestions.

dh1200s

Your right I only get involved in a DIY fix my bad.

I'm in blog mode now.......buy another machine and good luck with your new purchase.........Dick

dh1200s

Hey Jake,

I went back to some of the first post on the FAV6800A's issues.......FAV9800A's have the same build from the washer top down to the base just no fancy LCD screen and I believe no water heater option based on the wiring schematic for the 9800A machine.

The machine checked out to be level. emptied the clothes out and it still starts to spin makes two bumping noises and says its still unlevel or out of balance.
At least the TDS worked from the factory or the machine would walked away and self un-pluged from the 120VAC service outlet. The self un-plug is a safety feature if the TDS fails on this model.:rolleyes:

Buck

Got a replacement and it worked great for three days. after aprox. 15 loads it will not spin says that the load is un-level. The machine checked out to be level. emptied the clothes out and it still starts to spin makes two bumping noises and says its still unlevel or out of balance.

is this common for $1000 washing machine or has my father-in-law just got bad luck?

December 26th, 2005 http://www.applianceblog.com/mainforums/maytag-magic-chef-admiral-jenn-air/2342-maytag-neptune-tl-fav6800aww.html#post11448

This is very uncommon on a new machine.

If your having this much trouble, you may want to call or even better go to the store you bought it at, and ask for an exchange.

Or call Maytag to tell them whats going on, and have the Maytag tech. out again.

Jake
This was a 12/21/05 post Merry Xmas.............NOT!

Yep hate those unbalance errors darn Clutch Pulley One-Way bearing..........but I bought my current machine for $0.99 on a bid win and would do it again in a heart beat.

I got real long service on my original machine purchase around $900.00 (18 months) before my first unbalance DC/UC errors started up.

Yep problems from day one...........but still love the little monster! Where else can you get your wash load all twisted up for free.

Those One-Way bearings become dry and sticky even in storage........but I would not trash the machine for that or any issues including an Outer Tub bearing rebuild...........but I enjoy walking around on broken glass.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks Dick for posting all that, and for posting help advise for this problem she ran into on her machine.

Maytag was and still is a great appliance company!

All appliance manufactures have had issues with certain models, like GE has had the motherboard problem on most of their side by side refrigerator models, Frigidaire has had the rear outer tub bearing/inner tub spider arm supports cracking/breaking on their 1st generation front-load washer models. Whirlpool had the Calypso washer problem. Samsung/LG is currently having the defrost drain water leakage problem on some of their model refrigerators.

Jake

crowleysridgegirl

Premium Member
I dont' repair my own washers,however,I wanted to use the forum for opinions from you and those who do,before perhaps getting snowed by a repairman,although I use someone I fully trust.I like to know the hows and whys and wherefores of a machine,etc instead of standing around like women have typically been expected to do going "I dunno,I dunno,I dunno." At least I can be armed with SOME additional advice in the face of an expensive repair,by coming on to a forum like this one,thanks to Dick and to you for the advice and issues that you brought up.Perhaps it can help someone else repair their Maytag with a bad softener dispenser.

Last edited:

crowleysridgegirl

Premium Member
PS to Dick: I was going to tell you that it's highly possible a new machine might be coming this fall if I can find the right sale and the right one.If you weren't so far away,and able to buy one like the Maytag that I have for less than the drive,you'd be welcome to this washer since you do seem fond of them! LOL

dh1200s

Jake said; Thanks Dick for posting all that, and for posting help advise for this problem she ran into on her machine.
No thanks required Jake I enjoy the forum.

crowleysridgegir said I was going to tell you that it's highly possible a new machine might be coming this fall
Good deal and best of luck on your new machine.

Just a thought on your hard water issue, I have no experience with hard water issues my water supply (on site well) is highly acidic PH = 5.0 and loves to eat through my copper plumbing. I'm concerned that you could have similar issues with any washer you feed with your water supply.........just may take a while with the low usage you have at home on that appliance

I do wonder If mineral deposits are at play here with flow rate reduction through the water inlet solenoid and or softener dispenser solenoid caused by mineral deposit build up. Maybe causing one or both solenoids to not fully open and restrict flow rate to flush out the dispenser. The flow rate may be reduced but not enough for the control board/pressure switch sensing time out that would trigger an NF error (No Fill) code. I’m not sure what your error LCD console would display.

I'm leaning toward a flow rate issue caused by mineral build up.

Have a good one folks………..Dick

crowleysridgegirl

Premium Member
I have thought about that same possibility.our water is very alkaline,high magnesium content.That was the reason for the water inlet valve replacement.(the washer would not stop filling.) so,you could be correct.I have not seen an error code come up on the readout,to date.

Boomar

My Neptune washing machine does the very same thing. It will not dispense the fabric softener and just sits there after the cycle has run. It also gets mildew stains inside the dispensing compartments.

crowleysridgegirl

Premium Member
Mine doesn't mildew,but,it does just as you and I have said.It is working,FOR NOW.I think its' days are numbered,though.Maybe it overheard me talking,LOL! Or has a back up buddy reading these threads,:D