• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Maytag freezer too warm. Refrigerator is fine. Model MRT118FFFZ01

Bruce2202

Premium Member
Model Number
MRT118FFFZ01
Brand
Maytag
I am having trouble with my Maytag model MRT118FFFZ01. I bought it in 2017. An appliance repairman removed the freezer panel, saw ice build up, put it back together and said it was either the compressor or a refrigerant leak (134a). He said I needed a new refrigerator.
I didn’t like his answer, obviously, so I looked on YouTube and saw how people who had the same answer as me were tapping in to their suction line and adding refrigerant. I tried that, but it didn’t change anything. The compressor seemed okay and the relay checked out fine. Could it be the defroster not working correctly?

Thanks for any answers that may help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Take a photo of the evaporator coil in the freezer and upload it here, we need to see the frost pattern.

Is the freezer(evaporator) fan running?

I'm attaching your tech. data sheet below, on Page 2 ENTER SERVICE DIAGNOSTICS Mode and tell us what component fails.

Jake

Attachments

• W10872104-RevA.pdf
    551.2 KB · Views: 42

Bruce2202

Premium Member
A3398CB7-4120-464E-88BD-F45F6296196B.jpeg
A3398CB7-4120-464E-88BD-F45F6296196B.jpeg
Jake, here is the picture of the ice buildup. How do I enter the service diagnostics mode? It is different for every fridge and I can’t find it anywhere on the internet for mine.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, you have a sealed system problem, check your owners manual warranty, some models have a 5 yr. warranty on the sealed system.

I posted the tech. data sheet above that shows you how to ENTER DIAGNOSTICS.

Jake

Bruce2202

Premium Member
Ok, you have a sealed system problem, check your owners manual warranty, some models have a 5 yr. warranty on the sealed system.

I posted the tech. data sheet above that shows you how to ENTER DIAGNOSTICS.

Jake
Please excuse my ignorance. I don’t see where these are.

SW1 D9 D8 D7 D6 on the ENTER DIAGNOSTICS mode.

Robert4

Premium Member
To ENTER SERVICE DIAGNOSTICS Mode: Unit must be in the minimum temperature setting (D9 on) prior to entering SERVICE DIAGNOSTIC MODE. Press SW1 and hold door switch for 5 seconds. Release the button when all LED's are turned on. All LED´s turn ON and turn OFF after 10 sec. The display will show D9 on to indicate the control is in step 1 of the diagnostics routine. Each step must be manually advanced. Press SW1 to move to the next step in the sequence. Diagnostics will begin at Step 1 following the sequence shown in Table 1. To guarantee good voltage comparison to indicate load failure, a minimum of 2 seconds is needed in each step for system stabilization. All thermistors will be tested without action required from Service Technician. This check is done after Heater Off (Step 4).

To EXIT SERVICE DIAGNOSTICS Mode, do one of the following 3 options: 1) After last step press SW1 2) Disconnect the product from power. 3) Allow 20 minutes to pass.

Scroll up to Jake's first response on this thread for the Attachment, which is the tech sheet. Click on it, and it will download.

@Jake, When did Whirlpool start using Jiaxipera Compressors? Are they any good?

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
When did Whirlpool start using Jiaxipera Compressors? Are they any good?
I don't know, since I quit Sears in 2005 to start my own appliance repair company I don't do sealed system work anymore, as I don't want to invest in all the equipment I would need to do it, and I don't have enough sealed system calls to justify it buying all the equipment either.

When I worked at Montgomery Ward and Sears, they supplied all the equipment, as we did warranty work and service contract work for them and was required to do it per the warranty and service contract agreements.

Jake

Robert4

Premium Member
The reason I asked was because a builder in a neighborhood near us, put these same Maytag models in new homes and a bunch of them started having problems with the sealed system all at the same time when they were just 3 years old. They had Jiaxipera compressors, which I've never heard of before that. Another builder put Kenmore 106 side-by-sides with Embraco compressors, and there were no problems that I know of. Of course, Whirlpool makes both of them and used to own Embraco, so I assumed they put them in every model.

Bruce2202

Premium Member
To ENTER SERVICE DIAGNOSTICS Mode: Unit must be in the minimum temperature setting (D9 on) prior to entering SERVICE DIAGNOSTIC MODE. Press SW1 and hold door switch for 5 seconds. Release the button when all LED's are turned on. All LED´s turn ON and turn OFF after 10 sec. The display will show D9 on to indicate the control is in step 1 of the diagnostics routine. Each step must be manually advanced. Press SW1 to move to the next step in the sequence. Diagnostics will begin at Step 1 following the sequence shown in Table 1. To guarantee good voltage comparison to indicate load failure, a minimum of 2 seconds is needed in each step for system stabilization. All thermistors will be tested without action required from Service Technician. This check is done after Heater Off (Step 4).

To EXIT SERVICE DIAGNOSTICS Mode, do one of the following 3 options: 1) After last step press SW1 2) Disconnect the product from power. 3) Allow 20 minutes to pass.

Scroll up to Jake's first response on this thread for the Attachment, which is the tech sheet. Click on it, and it will download.

@Jake, When did Whirlpool start using Jiaxipera Compressors? Are they any good?
I guess I’m just ignorant. I don’t see D9 or SW1 anywhere on the control panel. I just have lights on the front.

Robert4

Premium Member
It seems to be a Chinese brand. I guess Whirlpool is using it to cut costs.

I see why you don't see it on the Control panel. It's not labelled there; it's labelled in the tech sheet. You'll see the numbering of lights in the tech sheet (attached below) and the screenshot (also below).

Click on the file below and go to the second page...

Attachments

• W10872104-RevA (1).pdf
    551.2 KB · Views: 38
  • Lights.png
    Lights.png
    6.8 KB · Views: 22

Robert4

Premium Member
It's fine! I'm no expert either, and I would have had no idea what any of those letter and number combinations meant if I didn't see it in the tech sheet.