• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Maytag gas dryer MGDC200XW4 flame not coming on

kevins267

Premium Member
Model Number
MGDC200XW4
Brand
Maytag
My dryer stopped producing heat about a month ago. At first we could restart it a number of times and eventually it would work, but now it never heats up. What I observe looking through the peep hole is the igniter glowing for about 5 or so seconds, but no flame ever comes on. I hear a small click which I believe is the solenoids kicking in, but when it was working my recollection was the click was much louder. When I open the door to verify there's no heat, there's a strong smell of gas. So far I've replaced the cycling thermostat and thermal fuse together, and the gas valve solenoids. I've tested as many components as possible with a multimeter and they all have passed. This includes the radiant flame sensor, the igniter, the other thermal fuse, and the high-limit thermostat.

Is it possible the igniter is still problematic even though it's glowing and testing successfully with the multimeter, for example if it works but can't get hot enough? Is there any way to know if I need to replace the gas burner assembly, or any other parts I should test first? Just trying to wrap my head around why the igniter is seemingly working and I can smell gas, yet it never produces a flame.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Where did you buy the gas coils at?

The most common part to go bad on gas dryers is the gas coils.

Here's the gas coil kit for your model:
Gas Valve Solenoid 279834

Jake

kevins267

Premium Member
Hi Jake, thanks for your response. Yes those are the coils I bought and replaced. I reseated them a 2nd time and tested with the multimeter just to be sure.

kevins267

Premium Member
Thanks for your replies. I was hoping not to have to spend a couple hundred dollars on a part, but unfortunately it seems that's most likely what needs to be replaced. We're in the market for a new washer and dryer anyways, these were inherited from the previous home owners, was just hoping I could put it off for a bit.

Thanks again!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, thanks for the update!

Jake