• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Maytag Gemini Electric Range MER6872BAS - Lower Oven Bake Element not working

LisaCB

Premium Member
Model Number
MER6872BAS
Brand
Maytag
I'm looking for a little help in identifying the cause (and hopefully a fix) for the lower bake element in my double oven not working.

While baking a cheesecake, some water spilled onto the bottom of the oven however, there was no popping noise, nor did the breaker switch off.
The oven was at a low temp. and remained on until the cake was done. The next time I tried to use the lower oven is when I noticed that it would not heat up.

I've checked the following.....
All of the glass-top heating areas work. The upper (smaller) oven works and the lower oven BROIL element works.
The only thing not working is the lower bake element in the lower oven.
I tool the back off and checked all electrical connections - everything is fine with no areas of "burns" to wires, etc. I also took the top back off, exposing the back of the control board...again, everything is connected fine and there are no areas that look burned or shorted.

What should I check next in order to determine why this is happening and if it can be fixed?

Thanks so much!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Lisa,

Lets first ohm test your lower bake element.

To ohm test it, you'll need a multimeter to ohm test at your bottom bake element terminals in the back of your range. You'll need to pull the range out from the wall and take the back access panel off, unplug your range first before accessing and ohm testing it! Also remove the 2 wires first before ohm testing it.

Here's the lower oven bake element for your model:
Bake Element WP7406P428-60

Watch this video to ohm test it:

Let us know what you find.

Jake

LisaCB

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

I tested the ohms and got 21.4 on my multimeter. (Sperry Pcket-Pro).

Based on the video you sent, this should mean that the actual element is working fine (correct)?

What do I test next?

Thank You,

Lisa

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Lisa, your bake element is good.

Ok now lets ohm the safety limit thermostat.

Switch (pri) WP74004530

With the power disconnected to your range, ohm it, should read 0-1 ohm. Its located in the back of your range, pull your range out from the wall, remove the back panel if you haven't already then you will see it. Take 1 wire off it first before ohm testing it.

If that's fine, then its the clock control board here:
Clk/ovrly Kit, Blk WP5701M406-60

Unfortunately, Its No Longer Available.

Jake

LisaCB

Premium Member
Tested the safety limit thermostat...ohms at 00.0.

Bad news?

Thank You,

Lisa

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes Lisa, so that means your clock oven control board is the culprit.

Time to go range shopping. Most appliance stores are having their annual Christmas Sales now, so now is a good time to get a new Range.

I'd stay with Maytag. Whirlpool, KitchenAid, and Amana are also very good.

Jake

LisaCB

Premium Member
Nooooooooo....aaggghhhhhhh!

I appreciate all of your time and help Jake.

I just really wish it was something we could fix and/or replace rather than having to purchase a new oven.
Not a fan of buying any appliance right now due to the widespread logistical issues and reductions in available stock.
Kind-of have to buy what is available rather than what one truly wants. Had to do that with a microwave in October of 2020.

Again, thanks so much for your help in diagnosing the issue.

Lisa

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Lisa, glad to help.:)

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.