• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Maytag LAT2500AAE older washer stopped spinning and agitating

Moi

Premium Member
Model Number
LAT2500AAE
Brand
Maytag
Both stopped and a minor burning smell. Everything else appears to work fine. Water enters and drains. The panel appears to work and so does the lid. I have replaced the belts and it still doesn't agitate or spin. I have checked that the other 2 pulleys move freely. My next step is to remove the motor and replace the rollers & springs. This is where I am at. Motor removed. Cannot remove the drive pulley as per instructions. The set screw will not turn with an Allen wrench. Have lubricated it and it will not turn to release the pulley. I need any help in how to loosen the set screw and remove the pulley without damaging the shaft. Any help would be appreciated. The set screw is no longer available but does come in the replacement pulley. Is there anything else I need to check for what is wrong with the Maytag. Thankyou in advance.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

So when the motor runs is the pulley turning the transmission and drain pump belts? Or the motor doesn't run at all period?

The transmission pulley turns freely both ways? Same with the drain pump pulley?

Get a can of Liquid Wrench and spray that set screw liberally and let it sit overnight, then it should come off.

Here's the motor pulley for your model:
WP6-2008160 Motor Pulley

Video included in part link.

Here is the Motor Mount Roller and Spring Kit for your model(Video Included in part link):
205000 Motor Mount Roller and Spring Kit

Jake

Moi

Premium Member
Hi Jake
Thankyou for your reply.
So when the motor runs is the pulley turning the transmission and drain pump belts? Or the motor doesn't run at all period?
The motor is working fine. At the moment the motor is out of the machine.
I put new belts on but the machine still did not agitate or spin.

The transmission pulley turns freely both ways? Same with the drain pump pulley?
The drain pump pulley turns freely in both directions. The transmission pulley turns freely clockwise. Counter clockwise I encounter a spring type resistance but I can turn it.

Get a can of Liquid Wrench and spray that set screw liberally and let it sit overnight, then it should come off.
I have the motor mount and spring kit. I was trying to remove the motor pulley. I have lubricated it liberally with WD-40 several times and overnight. Is Liquid Wrench different to WD-40 in its application and effectiveness?

Hope you can help further. I am hoping my gut instinct is wrong in telling me it could be the transmission.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, Liquid Wrench works much better.

Counter clockwise I encounter a spring type resistance but I can turn it.
Does the tub spin when you turn it that way?

Jake

Moi

Premium Member
I just checked. When turning the transmission pulley clockwise the agitator moves. Tub does not. When turning the transmission pulley counter clockwise ( with the resistance) the agitator moves but the tub does not. I have tried turning the tub inside manually in both directions but it won't move at all.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
When turning the transmission pulley counter clockwise ( with the resistance) the agitator moves but the tub does not.
But you can still keep turning the transmission pulley counter clockwise ( with the resistance) AND the agitator moves--->but the tub does not move at all period as you keep turning the transmission pulley?

If that's the case, then your transmission has gone bad, because the transmission pulley should stop turning if the inner tub is not turning, and the agitator should not be moving when turning the transmission pulley counter clockwise.

Here's the transmission for your model:
Transmission 6-2097750

Jake

Moi

Premium Member
THankyou for the reply. I was afraid that it might be the transmission.
It looks like we will take the option now of purchasing a new washer. Not worth the expense of a new transmission.

BTW I soaked the motor pulley overnight with Liquid Wrench and still the set screw won't budge at all

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
BTW I soaked the motor pulley overnight with Liquid Wrench and still the set screw won't budge at all
Yes, it may be so stuck into the motor shaft it may not come off.

Yes, I agree 100% in you buying a new washer.:)

All us techs here recommend Speed Queen, Maytag, Whirlpool, Amana, Roper, Admiral.

Jake

Reactions: Moi